Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Wide spread toes on feet?

MerryMinions

Cavy Gazer
I adopted a male Guinea pig today from the SPCA to go with the male I got two weeks ago. Introductions at the shelter and at home have been going great.

I noticed at the shelter the new pig's toes looked widely spread. The associates said his nails were just curled/overgrown and trimmed his nails. At home now comparing his feet to my original pig's and it has me concerned. He gets a free vet visit courtesy of the SPCA so will be taking him next week but wanted to see if I could get some insight before then.

He doesn't appear to be in any pain walking or anything, just doesn't look right, I attached two pictures. They estimated him around 4 years old and he was surrendered with another male who the previous owner said bullied him. I don't have any other info about him.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Attachments

20190705_164502.jpg 20190705_164446.jpg

MerryMinions

Cavy Gazer
I don't see a way to edit so going to add that the toes themselves seem to curl and that is what has me so perplexed.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He seems to be an older boy, and older pigs toes tend to curve like that. Both of my older boars feet have done that, and both boys I have now have wider set toes like that.

Cute little man!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa.

MerryMinions

Cavy Gazer
He seems to be an older boy, and older pigs toes tend to curve like that. Both of my older boars feet have done that, and both boys I have now have wider set toes like that.

Cute little man!

Thanks! He is very shy and timid but I think he will come around. Glad to know toes are normal. New to these lovely critters but already obsessed!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks! He is very shy and timid but I think he will come around. Glad to know toes are normal. New to these lovely critters but already obsessed!

I'm sure he'll come around and get much more comfortable in his new surroundings, but if you're new to pigs do know that it can take a long time. It's nothing you're doing wrong, but pigs are prey animals and naturally fearful of everything. Just be patient and enjoy the time with him. They are an absolute joy to keep, and watch them interact.

That said, before I forget, thank you for rescuing this little guy. I wish more people would take the rescue route, there are so many special little furballs in need of good homes.

MerryMinions

Cavy Gazer
I'm sure he'll come around and get much more comfortable in his new surroundings, but if you're new to pigs do know that it can take a long time. It's nothing you're doing wrong, but pigs are prey animals and naturally fearful of everything. Just be patient and enjoy the time with him. They are an absolute joy to keep, and watch them interact.

That said, before I forget, thank you for rescuing this little guy. I wish more people would take the rescue route, there are so many special little furballs in need of good homes.

Lots of bonded pairs and trios out there too! Adoption fee was only $15 and comes with a free vet visit with a list of vets you can choose from.

My first male was a fluke. Had been looking into getting Guinea pigs when I went into Petco for something for our cats. Someone had just brought their pig in with a cage, bedding, hay, pellets, etc and left him. Got him and his stuff for free. Brought him to the vet and spent $90 on getting him checked out. Healthy and estimated at 1.5 years which fell in line with what previous owners said.

So my free pig cost way more than just adopting straight from the shelter! No regrets because he was still a rescue but all future pigs will come from the shelter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.