Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Ear cleaning fluid?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I got one from the vet. I'm wondering if there's a good safe one that is just as good otc? Tia!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I never cleaned my guinea pigs' ears except just to wipe out the outer part. But I can't see why any ear drops wouldn't work.

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
Mineral oil is the easiest thing, I think. Most people have it anyway for cleaning the anal sac. If you are only cleaning out wax, it should be fine. If it's infected, that's another matter. But I just put a few drops of mineral oil in each ear and massage it a little. Then I wipe the excess off with a cotton ball and obviously never poke around inside the ear with a q-tip.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My groomer who's had gps uses q tip and gets a lot of gunk out every 3 mo. She digs deep. No issues. Mooshy never had much over her 5 years so hers were never cleaned.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Mineral oil is the easiest thing, I think. Most people have it anyway for cleaning the anal sac.

I guess it's just me, but I wouldn't go near my cavies with mineral oil.....too likely to have ingredients that I don't want to put in their bum nor their ears.

I was taught how to clean cavy ears by a vet tech and clean them once a month along with nail trims, genital cleaning, and a haircut in the summer. I use light, natural oils such as coconut, emu, argan, jojoba, or even a light Vit. E oil.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.