Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Need Advice on how to handle extended quarantine

ThackoryGPig

Cavy Gazer
I purchased a petco hairless guinea pig before learning about adoptable options. 2 weeks and a cage upgrade suitable for two later we found one to adopt and brought him home. 2 days after that the petco gp showed signs of ringworm. So the 2 week quarantine is likely going to be a month while my first gp is being treated.

My original plan was to have the younger petco gp in the larger cage and once they have neutral territory introductions to rearrange the big cage to look new and move them in together. I didn’t want the older adopted gp to become territorial about their forever home and have lots of dominance issues or aggression.

However, I’m feeling bad about the new guy being in a small cage for a month. It’s a pet store “starter” cage about 2x3. It was just a temporary home for my little petco pig until I found the ideal cage. The vet suggested just taking him out to play in the playpen and get floor time, but he was a rescue and is timid so he just chills in the bigger pen and doesn’t get his exercise. I know he’d be happier in the bigger cage, but will it cause more dominance issues once I put them together? What do you recommend?

TIA!

Mtardif96

Cavy Slave
Hey! I am currently in the almost exact situation, except with lice! I'm currently keeping the newer piggie with lice in the living room also in a pet store cage. He had his dose of the meds 2 days ago and a nice bath today. I have been excessively changing out his bedding, like every single day new fleece and towels and they go straight to the washer/dryer. He's been getting loads of veggies and eating really well. I think that for a month it won't be too big of a deal in the smaller cage, just try to hold him as much as possible and know that he is in a much better situation in your hands than he is at petco, especially if you give him love everyday. Mine was being kept in a travel size hamster cage at his original owners house, not being fed hay and just poor quality of life. Though his current pet store cage in my living room is too small still, it is still better than his previous situation and it is ONLY temporary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He'll survive a month in the smaller cage. Don't worry about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.