Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Re: Cage size for 3 guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post
    I applaud you for your attempts to build your piggies a large cage because they need a large, flat surface with lots of ventilation for their health and wellbeing.

If may offer you some constructive criticism from my own hard learned lesson... Wood is oftentimes very difficult to keep adequately clean even with a covering over it (such as tile or linoleum) because moisture inevitably gets to it which causes issues down the road. Sure, it looks great and works well at the start, but all you have to do is deal with one pig with a fungal infection, urine wearing construction away or an especially busy pig who likes to gnaw away at the wood (which is a natural thing for pigs to do) to have a really frustrating experience. Any exposed wood is impossible to clean adequately to solve some issues and oftentimes just creates a messy, odorous situation for you and your pigs.

I have found the c&c cages to be the easiest to clean, healthiest for my pigs (lots of space, ventilation, and easy to disinfect when necessary) and the most versatile...I can add to it or change the configuration whenever I want at an affordable price! I couldn't believe how much better it was until I switched to one.

I hope that you are also planning on this structure being indoors. Many times those choosing wood are planning an outdoor cage which is not usually in the best interest of their pigs' health. (I am sure you have already read about their sensitivity to certain humidity and temperature ranges)

Just consider all your options of cage materials since I am sure you plan to put a lot of effort into this project.

And remember, the people on this site are very knowledgeable and are a wonderful help because they have an immense amount of experience with guinea pigs. Some have made their own mistakes and learned the hard way, so they want to share with others for the benefit of their guinea pigs. They really do know what they are talking about and are reliable source of information.
    I definitely plan on it being inside cause living in Iowa weather is crazy and thereís tons of wild animals and every bit of the wood inside the cage will be covered atleast 1.5 feet from the bottom with tiles and silicone I just have to many other animals to go with a c&c cage for safety reasons and the fact that on top of the cage will be cages for a hamster, a hedgehog, and a leopard gecko and Iím probably gonna try to find a pet safe sealant for the outside

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Have you thought about making an open shelving unit to place cages onto? The C&C cage could just be placed onto a big enough shelf and it would suit your needs. No walls would need to be built.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Have you thought about making an open shelving unit to place cages onto? The C&C cage could just be placed onto a big enough shelf and it would suit your needs. No walls would need to be built.
    Isnt that kinda what I’m already planning to build I don’t like c& c cages cause I don’t trust the security of them vs my dogs and cats or my potbelly pig though they will rarely be in my room plus if I was gonna build something to put cages on instead of building the cages I’d just go with bin cages which would still need a bunch of work and wouldn’t really be suitable for guinea pigs
    im starting to think about just ignoring this thread cause the UK guinea pig forum I’m on loves my idea and can not wait to see the build especially since I’m probably gonna end up going 8ftx3ftx3ft with the whole structure probably being 8x3x8 foot

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyLane94 View Post
    im starting to think about just ignoring this thread cause the UK guinea pig forum Iím on loves my idea and can not wait to see the build
    That sounds like an excellent idea.

Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyLane94 View Post
    Isnt that kinda what I’m already planning to build I don’t like c& c cages cause I don’t trust the security of them vs my dogs and cats or my potbelly pig though they will rarely be in my room plus if I was gonna build something to put cages on instead of building the cages I’d just go with bin cages which would still need a bunch of work and wouldn’t really be suitable for guinea pigs
    im starting to think about just ignoring this thread cause the UK guinea pig forum I’m on loves my idea and can not wait to see the build especially since I’m probably gonna end up going 8ftx3ftx3ft with the whole structure probably being 8x3x8 foot
    There is a reason for that...I grew up in England (UK) and it can be difficult to find the components to build a c&c cage or difficult to do so at an affordable price. Hence why I have personal experience with a wooden cage structure. An unfortunate experience, make no mistake about it.

I live in the US now and have the opportunity to have access to better materials (c&c cage materials) which as I said before has far better ventilation and can be disinfected when necessary which is much better for the health and well being of my pigs.

You speak of needing a safe cage for your pigs....my c&c cage was built with much effort and care using lots of zip ties. It is on a stand (also using grids) and is covered which makes it safe for my large dog and cats (one of which is a Maine coon and over 22 lbs). I can sit in my cage if I wanted to (and have when making adjustments or expansions), it's that well made! It would easily hold another small animal cage (or 2) on the lid (which is also reinforced with bars).

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Iím interested in what youíre building. I think we all are confused with your vision for a cage and just want to make sure the guinea pigs will have good health and comfort. Weíre just looking out for the well being of your piggies.
    Perhaps can we see building plans for the cage? Iím having a hard time visualizing what youíre planning to make.
    Also, instead of linoleum or tiles, maybe make a coroplast liner. Then you could always remove it to clean it and place it back into the cage. This is just an idea.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I’m interested in what you’re building. I think we all are confused with your vision for a cage and just want to make sure the guinea pigs will have good health and comfort. We’re just looking out for the well being of your piggies.
    Perhaps can we see building plans for the cage? I’m having a hard time visualizing what you’re planning to make.
    Also, instead of linoleum or tiles, maybe make a coroplast liner. Then you could always remove it to clean it and place it back into the cage. This is just an idea.
    I’ll try to post a drawing in a bit of my idea it’s not a great drawing but maybe it’ll help

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I’m interested in what you’re building. I think we all are confused with your vision for a cage and just want to make sure the guinea pigs will have good health and comfort. We’re just looking out for the well being of your piggies.
    Perhaps can we see building plans for the cage? I’m having a hard time visualizing what you’re planning to make.
    Heres the picture hopefully I did this right https://imgur.com/a/GZteG5a

User Tag List