Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Kitchen bedding help

So I have a 2x5 C&C cage for my 2 pigs, i have a large cat litter box for the kitchen area and usefleece abd uhaul for the rest of the cage. I change the box every other day almost and it still seems to smell but I feel like im going thru so much litter. Im using yesterdays news. I thinking of switching to wood stove pellets cuz they are cheaper. Is anyone else having these issues?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,529 Rec'd/1,260 Posts
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1132 Post(s)

Re: Kitchen bedding help

Nope, no issues with smell. I use a kitten litter box with Petco's So Phresh Crumbled Paper Litter and then a layer of hay over it. I have tried all kinds of litter and this is the preferred one. It works very well and is competitively priced. The box smells only if the hay becomes soiled with urine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

I use a long rabbit litter pan for hay. I call it her eat-in bathroom.

I put Carefresh in the bottom and then a light layer of hay, and pile the rest of the fresh hay in the corner. She pulls down what she wants and it minimizes how much hay gets soiled. I change it daily and set aside the dry hay. That’s what I use over the new layer of Carefresh, then pile fresh hay in the corner again. No odor issues and the rest of the cage stays cleaner.

Thanks
    Thanks
    121 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet333 View Post
    So I have a 2x5 C&C cage for my 2 pigs, i have a large cat litter box for the kitchen area and usefleece abd uhaul for the rest of the cage. I change the box every other day almost and it still seems to smell but I feel like im going thru so much litter. Im using yesterdays news. I thinking of switching to wood stove pellets cuz they are cheaper. Is anyone else having these issues?
    The wood pellets are considerably cheaper than Yesterday's News. I used them for my kitchen loft in my piggies' cage. The lower level was all fleece-- fleece bedspread with potty pads. The wood pellets also absorb more than the Yesterdays News, so you'll use less.

Here's what the loft area looked like. I also put some wood pellets under the hay to collect any urine there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PATIO PGGIE.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	86034  
    Last edited by Gandalf; 06-30-19 at 06:54 pm.

User Tag List