Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Kitchen bedding help

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
So I have a 2x5 C&C cage for my 2 pigs, i have a large cat litter box for the kitchen area and usefleece abd uhaul for the rest of the cage. I change the box every other day almost and it still seems to smell but I feel like im going thru so much litter. Im using yesterdays news. I thinking of switching to wood stove pellets cuz they are cheaper. Is anyone else having these issues?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Nope, no issues with smell. I use a kitten litter box with Petco's So Phresh Crumbled Paper Litter and then a layer of hay over it. I have tried all kinds of litter and this is the preferred one. It works very well and is competitively priced. The box smells only if the hay becomes soiled with urine.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use a long rabbit litter pan for hay. I call it her eat-in bathroom. ;)

I put Carefresh in the bottom and then a light layer of hay, and pile the rest of the fresh hay in the corner. She pulls down what she wants and it minimizes how much hay gets soiled. I change it daily and set aside the dry hay. That’s what I use over the new layer of Carefresh, then pile fresh hay in the corner again. No odor issues and the rest of the cage stays cleaner.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
So I have a 2x5 C&C cage for my 2 pigs, i have a large cat litter box for the kitchen area and usefleece abd uhaul for the rest of the cage. I change the box every other day almost and it still seems to smell but I feel like im going thru so much litter. Im using yesterdays news. I thinking of switching to wood stove pellets cuz they are cheaper. Is anyone else having these issues?

The wood pellets are considerably cheaper than Yesterday's News. I used them for my kitchen loft in my piggies' cage. The lower level was all fleece-- fleece bedspread with potty pads. The wood pellets also absorb more than the Yesterdays News, so you'll use less.

Here's what the loft area looked like. I also put some wood pellets under the hay to collect any urine there.

Attachments

PATIO PGGIE.jpg
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.