Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Female bullying another female. New owner

LydiaJ

Cavy Gazer
I adopted two females who were labeled as ‘bonded’. They are one year old. I have had them two weeks. Their cc&c cage is2x4. One female is inquisitive & more outgoing. The other I was told was ‘shy’. Well she’s more a bully than shy. Although she’s extremely skittish and refuses to be picked up, she is constantly chasing her roommate. She charges her, gets in her faces, purrs, is aggressive, chases her away from the food, bites her rear end. The easygoing one puts up with it and always runs away, only to get chased down again. This has been constant from day one. I separated them the past two nights. They are both quiet and calm. Although the bully will only retreat from her igloo to eat and drink. The calmer one is out and about exploring. Any suggestions? I hate to separate them, but the calmer one seems more at peace. Thank you in advance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Three ideas.

One, I'd have her evaluated for ovarian cysts. She's a little young for that, but it's a possibility, and could explain the behavior.

Two, pigs can sense when there's something wrong with another pig, and sometimes will bully the sick one mercilessly. Is it possible that the calmer one has something going on that you just haven't noticed.

Three, sometimes a change of location can undo any bonding that may have gone on before. You could try a buddy bath and a teeny drop of vanilla on each nose to see if that will sort things out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.