Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Adopting a neutered male to companion with my lone boar

Mtardif96

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody,

About a month ago I lost one of my 5 month old boars (ozzy) who was bonded with his brother (toaster) also 5 months. Toaster has been alone for the past month while we've been trying to figure out how to get a new boar, while also being reluctant because he is in the peak of puberty. I came across a woman who is trying to re home her 2 year old neutered boy. He was neutered because he was part of a trio with 2 females, his mother and sister. Both passed, and She said that her boy (marshmallow) is obviously lonely and isn't eating as much. We are going to take him in, but im just wondering if him being neutered or previously only with females is going to impact his behavior with toaster. I understand that neutering does not change temperament, but he won't be going through puberty or be very hormonal which may smooth things for them. I have not previously tried to bond 2 males, as my boys came together from the same litter. Any advice? I'm just a tad bit anxious that it wont work out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you take him on a contingency basis? Try it for a few days and see how it works?

Just give them HOURS in a large neutral area, then put a teeny dab of vanilla on each nose before you put them in a thoroughly cleaned cage that smells NOTHING like either pig. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for more info.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.