Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions odd behavior and bum thumping against ground

seraphino

Cavy Slave
{may have posted this earlier but i couldn't find it, sorry i'm still trying to get the hang of this site} hi everyone, my 4 year old boar has been acting very strangely this morning, he was sporadically running around his cage dragging and thumping his bum into the ground. i thought he may have been impacted so i took him out and cleared him up and then let him get some floor time for a little bit. he seemed fine then but when i put him back up in his cage the behavior started again, running around dragging bum and thumping against the ground. i took him out again because i had thought that maybe he still happened to be impacted, but didn't find anything. his grease gland is starting to build up a bit so maybe it was that, but at the time i can't go to the store and i didn't have any coconut oil. we'll be taking him to the vet in about a week or two to get his nails trimmed so i'll most definitely ask about this then. has this happened to anyone else's pigs? it really scares me to see him in any kind of distress :( is there anything i could do to prevent this? also he started pooping a few times and it seemed to fix his problem, but i think he may be doing it again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds to me like he's scent marking his cage. Had you just cleaned it, by any chance?

seraphino

Cavy Slave
Yes, we just had it cleaned yesterday but he's never acted in this manner before

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm still betting on scent marking, although I don't know why he would have just started doing it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.