Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece White stains on canvas bottom?

DiSerPiero

Cavy Slave
When I took out my fleece bedding to wash it, I noticed large white stains on the canvas bottom of my Midwest cage. There have been smaller white stains before and I’m worried that this could be mold or if the white stains are just common occurrences. If anyone knows anything about this or has advice on how o get rid of this or prevent this it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

CA374490-73C7-4EE6-85CD-518A35F3C99F.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most likely dried calcium from the urine. How old are your pigs? And exactly what do you feed them -- kind of hay, brand of pellets, which veggies, etc.

DiSerPiero

Cavy Slave
4 and 5 months
OxBow young guinea pig food pellets
OxBow Hay Blends Western Timothy + Orchard Grass
Basil, and Parsley mainly for veggies
and for Vitamin C treats we give them OxBow Natural Science Vitamin C treats

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At that age, I wouldn't worry too much. Young pigs excrete a lot of calcium. They're almost old enough to switch to adult pellets, and that should help some.

But I'd switch to red or green leaf lettuce rather than the parsley and basil, both of which are really high in calcium and should be used as treats rather than staples as food. Also, bell peppers are high in vitamin C and are a better source of the vitamin than a commercial preparation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.