Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Re: Sparky's Medical Thread

Oh my goodness, I hope Sparky feels better quickly! And I really wish this wasnít happening!

My (Sir Francis) Bacon (adopted in December) was diagnosed with an enlarged heart in February. His symptom was coughing. I thought he had a URI, but the X-ray to check his lungs turned up an enlarged heart instead.

Bacon just turned 2 yesterday. Heís on furosemide, which seems to help a lot. When heís not on it he has an awful ďcardiac coughĒ.

At the advice of Baconís regular Exotics vet we went to a veterinary cardiology specialty practice to try and find out the underlying cause and best course of treatment. The veterinary cardiologist he saw was unable to get a readable echocardiogram on him. So that vet referred me to another vet within the same veterinary cardiology practice who treats zoo animals, we have an appointment with him at the end of July.

I can certainly relate to the platinum pig situation, whatever it takes to keep them happy and as healthy as possible itís a necessity for me. Penny just had her 2nd lump within a year removed. And I wonít say what a veterinary cardiologist costs. I joke Iíve spent enough on guinea pigs at the veterinary practice to buy a new car (itís true, I have!).

I wish you all the best possible outcomes with Sparky! I hope his appetite and weight improve, and that the meds and excellent veterinary and parental care do their job! Penny, Trixie, and Bacon send nose touches.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    At the advice of Baconís regular Exotics vet we went to a veterinary cardiology specialty practice to try and find out the underlying cause and best course of treatment. The veterinary cardiologist he saw was unable to get a readable echocardiogram on him. So that vet referred me to another vet within the same veterinary cardiology practice who treats zoo animals, we have an appointment with him at the end of July.
    You certainly can relate, can't you! An echocardiogram is how Sparky's heart condition was diagnosed. As you know, if there is a problem with the heart, fluid tends to back up into the lungs and cause respiratory difficulty.......thus the "cardiac cough". Sparky's breathing has markedly improved with medication and I'm hopeful that his condition can be managed. He must be feeling better as he is out of his house and has just gone up to the loft. I saw him sit at the foot of the ramp contemplating whether it would be advisable to climb up the ramp. I resisted helping him and he is now lying at the top of the ramp surveying his kingdom.

He still is not eating and drinking enough so I will do Critical Care and pedialyte a couple times a day to support him until things are hopefully back to normal. I don't remember......what caused the death of Ferb? I always loved your stories about the pair.....and think I remember when you adopted Trixie. I'd love to get a young boar as a companion for Sparky, but don't know if it would be too stressful for Sparky to try and deal with the frenetic energy of a young one.

Sparky says "thanks for the nose touches" from your gang!

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Sparky's Medical Thread

How is Sparky doing? Iím so glad he decided to go up the ramp!

Iíll PM you about what happened with Ferb, I donít want to hijack Sparkyís thread.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Sparky seems to be responding well. Yesterday was the first truly good day. We see his Vet tomorrow afternoon for a recheck, so I will post an update afterward.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

We saw Dr. Albin today for Sparky's one week checkup and there really isn't much new to report. He is pleased with Sparky's response to treatment as are we. It seems as though our boy is back.....if only for a limited time. His breathing and heart rate have returned to a more normal pattern, he has a good appetite, and is more active than he has been in weeks. You could tell that he was feeling better as his eyes are now bright and clear.

And, oh yes, Sparky also got a haircut a few days ago! This isn't the first summer that I have cut his hair for the hot weather, but now it is imperative that he not get overheated as that brings on the cardiac and respiratory symptoms. Just like a human who has gone through an extremely stressful life event, Sparky has been losing copious amounts of hair. At least now it is easier to brush him and that has become part of his daily routine. I can remember the first time I ever brushed him. It is said that one should brush with the hair growth pattern, but that would mean brushing in circles with the Aby rosettes which just didn't work. Sparky didn't know if he liked it, if it tickled, or if he hated it! He came to love being brushed and I will get tired before he does.

I had to bring myself to ask the difficult question today......what is Sparky's life expectancy? The answer was 3-6 months so we can only hope that he makes it to his fourth birthday. Just doesn't seem fair, but we are determined to make the most of it and continue to love and care for ......and enjoy our beautiful boy for whatever time we are granted. Thankfully, Sparky doesn't know this and is happily lying in his cozy in his post-dinner food coma.

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

I guess we have to learn from the outset that every day with our furry children is a gift. And no matter how much time we have with them.... it will never, ever be enough.

I am so glad that he is responding well, and is enjoying life again. I guess the lesson is to take each day as it comes. That's the only way HE knows how. Still, it isn't fair. It never is.

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

I'm so happy to hear that Sparky is holding steady and enjoying his life. I know that he is living every day surrounded by love and all the happiness that he so richly deserves.

I think the greatest blessing that an animal is given is the ability to just live in the moment. To Sparky, every day is a joyful experience. He has everything he needs to make his life content.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to get to know Sparky. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Sparky was discharged from the hospital one month ago today, so I thought I would post an update.

He's doing better than we could have imagined! His energy has returned, his hair has grown back, he sheds less now that ever in his life, and he has gained back most of the weight he lost. He is reveling in all the attention he receives and has become even more spoiled......if that's possible. With the original prognosis, we were just hoping that he would live to see his fourth birthday in October. Who knows what lies ahead, but we're hoping that perhaps he will defy the odds.

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,156 Rec'd/5,694 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

Glad to hear the good news!

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

So glad to hear good news! Pulling for Sparky to defy the odds and have long happy wonderful life!

Wheeks and grumbles from Punkin and Scooter for continued health and happiness!

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

That is excellent news! Go Sparky!

Bacon will see the veterinary cardiologist on Friday, Iíll let you know what he has to say (and if they can get an echocardiogram this time).

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,504 Rec'd/1,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    Bacon will see the veterinary cardiologist on Friday, Iíll let you know what he has to say.
    Yes, please do keep us posted. Sparky sends his best to Bacon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    492 Rec'd/395 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)

So happy to hear that Sparky is doing much better!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I’m so glad Sparky is doing well! Such good news.

User Tag List