Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Minimum C&C cage size for 4 female guinea pigs for 9 days.

Cland

Cavy Gazer
What minimum C&C cage size is ok for two female 1 year old and 2 female 3 month old guinea pigs together in the same cage for 9 days? I hope a 2x4 is ok for this short time. Space is limited. Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I definitely wouldn't put four pigs in a 2x4. Can you borrow a large dog cage for two of them? Or stack one cage on top of the other?

Cland

Cavy Gazer
I can try to push the size to a 2x5 but that is max and might not fit in the space. I really do not want to separate them in two different cages. The two babies together are the size of one of the adults so can I say 3 guinea pigs or no?!

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
When I've moved house before (rental property shenanigans) I had to temporarily house pigs in a similar situation. I think as long as the pigs are well-bonded and compatible, temperament-wise, and you clean out the space enough, it should be okay for just over a week. Sometimes you have no choice, and if it's just for the very short term it's often the best you can do. Just keep an eye out for squabbling and such.

Cland

Cavy Gazer
Thank you bpatters and stray hares! I appreciate your opinions! I just worry because they are used to a 2x8 with a 1x4 and 1x2 "L" shape loft. I don't want them to start fighting because of being in such a small space. They get along so well in their regular cage.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That sounds like such a neat space for them! Whatever you decide that sounds like an amazing full-time set-up that they will be happy to go back to.

I've kept six (!) pigs in a 4x2 space for a week before (1 neutered male and 5 females) due to moving house (ugh) and I think one time during a flood when our house was in danger of, well, being flooded. :/ They all got along really well though and I spend a lot of time before I bond pigs together getting to know them and working out the best combination of personalities, so my groups are usually pretty solid and can tolerate each other even when I clean out their cages and pop them all in carriers, etc. I've made quite a few boar trios and a boar quad before, for instance, which I know is warned about on this forum and elsewhere! It's one of the perks of having quite a few piggies though... I know not everyone has the luxury of being able to personality match like that.

Cland

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I have been teased about how big their home is but they deserve it and need it, and I love building and adding to it! I feel better about my space situation. I am able to put a 2x5 C&C cage in the space. Also hearing that you had 6 piggies in a 2x4 cage for a week really make me feel better! All of my girls love one another! My two older girls are sisters and the two babies have joined them like they were all meant to be together. It sounds like you are very knowledgeable about guinea pigs! Thank you for your info!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.