Thread: How do I stop fleece digging piggies?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Careless How do I stop fleece digging piggies?

Today I woke up to check on my guinea pigs. My piggy "cream" got under the fleece. Nothing too weird. Picked her up and put extra clips. *15 minutes later*. She is under the fleece again. This happened every 15 minutes or so. The binder clips don't seem to be helping. I tried putting cardboard and everything.:sad:
    Do any experienced guinea pig owners know what may help? All I have is extra chloroplast and cardboard. :confused:

Thank you :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Re: How do I stop fleece digging piggies?

The only thing that worked for me was purchasing the Piggy Bedspreads. They go over the four corners of the coroplast and there's no way the piggies can get under them. I know they are expensive but they really do work. I use various fleece liners around the cage and especially the area where my pigs sleep and eat. I do change the liners every day or so and the bedspreads gets changed twice weekly. They launder up nicely and hold up very well.

I'm sorry I wish I had a better solution for you because I know how frustrating it is when they constantly burrow under the fleece. It seems that once they get into that habit it becomes difficult to stop them. I never had that problem with any of my other pigs but my last two immediately discovered the fun of burrowing. I tried so many different things such as putting heavy objects like rebar around the edges and they still managed to move them enough to get under the fleece.

For me, the Piggy Bedspreads were a godsend.

Thanks
    Thanks
    479 Rec'd/405 Posts
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Re: How do I stop fleece digging piggies?

I have several fleece burrowers. The only thing I have found to stop them burrowing under the cage lining fleece, aside from a piggy bed spread, is to give them what they want in a way that isn't so annoying for us owners. For this I give them a smaller loose piece of fleece for them to burrow under, I call it the "decoy fleece". Every time i clean their cages i just toss in a loose decoy fleece once I'm done cleaning their cage and they are almost always happy to just lay under that rather than bothering the cage lining fleece.

User Tag List