Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Wood stove fuel pellets

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Since OSH went out of business, I'm having trouble finding douglas fur wood stove pellets. It's seasonal every where else.

I did find lignetics brand with no glue, additives or binders.

Lignetics® premium wood pellets are made from recycled, renewable sawmill waste. 

Is this ok for litter? If not, what other type of kitchen litter is there that is cheap. TIA!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Your thoughts, [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] ? Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They all look OK according to what's available on the website. What you'd need to know about them is whether any accelerant has been added. If you can find a contact form on the the website, you might get a pretty quick answer.

Artista

Cavy Slave
This has combustible and danger in the specs.

What horse stall wood pellet bedding do you use that ships?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're all combustible -- that's the whole point of stove pellets. It's whether or not they have something that lets them light quicker and/or burn hotter. That's what you'd have to ask the company about. Pine pellets are less likely to have that, because they burn easily, but are more likely to have a strong pine odor. Hardwood pellets will have less odor, but may or may not have an accelerant added.

The America's Choice stuff is available at Walmart for 2/3 of the Ace Hardware price, but I don't know how much 1 cubic foot of the pellets weighs, nor can I find the weight of the bag. You'd have to contact either the store or the manufacturer to find out the weight. But it looks like a really good, inexpensive option.

I generally bought 40-pound bags of TerrAmiga horse stall bedding for about $8. Two sacks would last me a year, so even if you have it shipped it's probably way cheaper than something like CareFresh.

Artista

Cavy Slave
They're all combustible -- that's the whole point of stove pellets. It's whether or not they have something that lets them light quicker and/or burn hotter. That's what you'd have to ask the company about. Pine pellets are less likely to have that, because they burn easily, but are more likely to have a strong pine odor. Hardwood pellets will have less odor, but may or may not have an accelerant added.

The America's Choice stuff is available at Walmart for 2/3 of the Ace Hardware price, but I don't know how much 1 cubic foot of the pellets weighs, nor can I find the weight of the bag. You'd have to contact either the store or the manufacturer to find out the weight. But it looks like a really good, inexpensive option.

I generally bought 40-pound bags of TerrAmiga horse stall bedding for about $8. Two sacks would last me a year, so even if you have it shipped it's probably way cheaper than something like CareFresh.

These are kiln dried according to one reviewer. I'm reading reviews. Most are for cats, but found 1 for bunny, 1 for mice and 4 years ago, 1 for gp. One person says it's a light scent. Another says smells good. Bella loves to chill on the pellets so want to make sure not toxic.

The terramiga isn't available near me and I can't find online shipping on it.

1 cu ft is about 40 lbs.

Should I get it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would. It looks good to me.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Another review says fresh pine aroma.

Artista

Cavy Slave
One person said weak scent.

Artista

Cavy Slave
The reason why I'm nervous is bella doesn't just pee and go. She sits several minutes after she's peed before leaving the kitchen. I use 100% douglas fir, golden fire or America's best. Both are not in stock until cooler weather. I don't like paper type. Just trying desperately to find cheap pellet litter. I know for next year to stock up with either douglas fir brand.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Buy one bag and see what it's like. It's not a lifetime commitment. :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I went to Walmart. They didn't have it. I got aspen bedding instead, American Wood 20l Pet's Pick Aspen. Says kiln dried. Working ok but just saw she's nibbling on it, which probably means she's injesting a bit. Is this ok? With the Douglas fir pellets I had no problem of nibbling.

I will be stocking up on either America's best douglas fir or Golden fire douglas fir wood stove pellets come fall. Ugh.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can order anything from Walmart online and have it delivered to the store for free for you to pick up.

Artista

Cavy Slave
You can order anything from Walmart online and have it delivered to the store for free for you to pick up.

Is the aspen bedding unsafe for nibbling?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on how much they eat of it. Most pigs will sample any kind of bedding.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Finally found 100% hardwood pellets with no additives, accelerants, etc. It's pricey for 20 lbs but I'll switch back to golden fire Douglas fir when my local lowes brings it back in the fall.

It's Flame Genie FG-P20 Premium Wood Pellets for Fire Pits, 20 Pound Pack, Black on amazon if anyone is scared of pine and other softwoods for litter.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I've been intrigued by wood pellets after reading the posts from [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] and thank you for this useful thread. Currently, I'm taking care of my father who lives on the 3rd floor with no elevator and I have hand problems, so lugging the heavy wood pellets up to the 3rd floor is too much for me. However, next month we are moving my father to a one-bedroom apartment in a building with an elevator. Since there is no room for me in the new apartment, I (and the piggies) will be going back to my own place, which is on the 2nd floor. Once we are all settled in, I plan to give the wood pellets a try. Since I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area as @Artisa, I will wait for the larger bags to be available at Lowes in the winter but can order the smaller bags from Amazon now. Unfortunately I cannot have it delivered to my home as I'm at work M-F but no problem delivering to the office as all my extra piggy supplies are stored at work anyway.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I've been intrigued by wood pellets after reading the posts from [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] and thank you for this useful thread. Currently, I'm taking care of my father who lives on the 3rd floor with no elevator and I have hand problems, so lugging the heavy wood pellets up to the 3rd floor is too much for me. However, next month we are moving my father to a one-bedroom apartment in a building with an elevator. Since there is no room for me in the new apartment, I (and the piggies) will be going back to my own place, which is on the 2nd floor. Once we are all settled in, I plan to give the wood pellets a try. Since I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area as @Artisa, I will wait for the larger bags to be available at Lowes in the winter but can order the smaller bags from Amazon now. Unfortunately I cannot have it delivered to my home as I'm at work M-F but no problem delivering to the office as all my extra piggy supplies are stored at work anyway.

Yeah, I spent a ton of time googling trying to find all natural hardwood pellets as I don't want to risk her having a bad reaction. I already lost a gp from a bad decision and can't risk it again. I've always used douglas fir. OSH used to carry Americas Best year round but OSH is gone. So I use Golden Fire at Lowes. I'm sure it'll be back in the fall. While this bag I got off Amazon is pricey for 20 lbs, I can deal until golden fire is back in stock. And I'm going to stock up before spring.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.