Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Wood stove fuel pellets

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@SSLee, they last forever, so once you get the bags to where they're going, you don't have to do it again for another year. Maybe you could rent a neighborhood urchin to haul them up the stairs for you.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I go through a bag in 2 mo or less. I don't do a complete overhaul in the kitchen, just scoop out the dust piles as I see it. I have 2 inch layer in there at all times. She pees in 1 spot majority of the time so that's why the other areas don't get replaced.

Also, my neighbor's son brings the bags in and puts them on a table so I don't have to bend down with my bad back.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two bags ($16 worth) lasted me 10 months, and would have gone longer except that I had to move the cage upstairs temporarily. So I just started with fresh when I moved it back down.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I currently have a 2x4 and figured I would bring 3-5 pounds of pellets up at a time and just do it multiple times. However, once I can reorganize my living room and get rid of a couple of chairs, I want to expand to a 2x5 or 2x6 as it would give the girls more running around room. I have an 8-year old nephew who lives upstairs on the 3rd floor (we live in a duplex) who insists he is very strong. Perhaps he will help me or maybe my niece, who initially asked to get the piggies and now "doesn't have time" to take care of them. Not having to change out the wood pellets for a year sounds like heaven. I do have 4 GuineaDad liners and maybe will use those for floor time if the wood pellets work out for me. I will go back and read the discussion threads on the wood pellets again before I get them. @Artista and @bpatters, thank you for the information and I'm very excited to try the wood pellets.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I currently have a 2x4 and figured I would bring 3-5 pounds of pellets up at a time and just do it multiple times. However, once I can reorganize my living room and get rid of a couple of chairs, I want to expand to a 2x5 or 2x6 as it would give the girls more running around room. I have an 8-year old nephew who lives upstairs on the 3rd floor (we live in a duplex) who insists he is very strong. Perhaps he will help me or maybe my niece, who initially asked to get the piggies and now "doesn't have time" to take care of them. Not having to change out the wood pellets for a year sounds like heaven. I do have 4 GuineaDad liners and maybe will use those for floor time if the wood pellets work out for me. I will go back and read the discussion threads on the wood pellets again before I get them. @Artista and @bpatters, thank you for the information and I'm very excited to try the wood pellets.

I got the " Flame Genie FG-P20 Premium Wood Pellets for Fire Pits, 20 Pound Pack, Black". Works well. Has a strong oak smell. Bella nibbles everything new so glad it's just wood.

I called lowes to get an eta of the golden fire wood pellets and they said early fall. So I'm going to get enough of this off Amazon to last till then and then stock up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.