Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Worried about Monroe

Pichu

Cavy Gazer
Hey, over the past few days my gf and I have noticed that our piggy monroe hasnt really been eating or drinking much. We cant take him to the vet right now because of financial problems but we have been hand feeding and giving him lots of fluids. We believe that he might have developed scurvy (yes I know bad on my part) we have gotten vitamin C supplements amd juices for him to help him gain his weight and hydration back. I am, however worried that he might go into stasis. Is there any advice or suggestions yall have for me so I can get him to eat and back to his usually rambunctious self? Anything would be %really appreciated. Thank you!!!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
When you say "hand feeding", what do you mean? If a cavy isn't eating, you need to be syringing Critical Care and possibly Pedialyte. You can buy CC from Amazon and buy a 30ml feeding syringe at a pet store or Internet. Please don't feed him fruit juice! It has waay too much sugar and the sugar may upset his g.i. system even more. Buy the unflavored, generic Pedialyte and possibly mix it with a little water. If my cavy is really ill, I use Pedialyte to mix with the CC powder for maximum effectiveness. You can also mix a little baby food with the CC. Beechnut makes a great line of organic baby food in some cavy-delicious flavors such as kale/apple, carrot/pumpkin, etc.

He needs hay to keep his gut moving. If he isn't eating enough hay, try feeding him corn husks torn in thin strips. Be sure to peel off all the darker green husks where the pesticides may reside and use the light green tender inner husks. You can feed the corn silks as well......just be sure to cut off the brown portion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.