Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea pig sudden lethargy/not eating + shaking death anyone else experience this?

toebeans

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig Ginny passed about a month ago and I'm still curious as to the cause or if this is common. She was 3 years and in perfect health never been sick once or any issues. One day she just became suddenly lethargic/very weak lying on her side and stopped eating. Not gradually just a complete stop I tried critical care but she wouldn't take it. I thought maybe bloat but she wasn't bloaty or swollen. She then started shaking for a minute but stopped.

Afterward she seemed to have more energy and almost seemed to be doing better she could lift her head up again I had her wrapped in a towel on my lap. I was looking up the vet for tomorrow since it was night time then I couldn't take her, while trying to find info on what was happening. She suddnelly made some wheezing/coughing noises and stopped moving. All of this happened from onset of lethargy/not eating to death within 2 hours. I just keep wondering if this is unusual and want to know if there was some sign I missed so I can do better.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, this is something that you may never know the answer to. It could have been any pathology that suddenly manifests such as a stroke, seizure, heart attack, or any other body system that simply suddenly stopped functioning. Oftentimes, it is a genetic issue that has been lying undiscovered and suddenly something malfunctions.

One of my boys died suddenly about six weeks ago. He was previously fine, suddenly stopped eating and was obviously in pain, and was dead before we could get him to the Vet. From all indications, it was an intracranial hemorrhage (brain bleed) that took his life. This type of pathology is as sudden as a heart attack and nothing we could have done would have prevented it.

Sometimes in a situation like this there ARE no answers. I'm so sorry for your girl's death and hope that you will open your heart to another cavy who may need a loving home. Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Ginny!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My sympathy, Toebeans, on losing your little one. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that you provided a good home and good care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.