Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swollen Tumor in Chest Probably cancer

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 11, 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy Swollen Tumor in Chest Probably cancer

    Good evening, while changing the bedding of my boy, I noticed he had a big bump in his chest, that he did not have it a few days ago. (I later saw that he have one in the ear also)

    I'm devastated, when you see this, your soul breaks, I quickly went with him to the vet and told me it's a malignant or benign tumor, he did not know which one exactly, he recommended another cabinet where he could investigate further.

    I still have not been there yet, I want to see if anyone else has gone through this process and what advice do you give me.

    I do not know if it hurts, if it suffers, it does not make a sound, it behaves normally, as before, nothing has changed.

    Some details about the little one: is 5 years old, eating normally, making her normal needs, never sick, being healthy so far, never seeing the vet.

    Nutrition: All life ate 80% green lettuce. The remaining 20% is divided between hay, cucumber, carrots. From time to time, dry bread, apple, fresh grass from the park.

    To mention: he did not drink water since he was 1 year old, compensated by diet, salad, cucumber, carrots. He has the water in the cage, but he does not drink.

    I attached pictures (fur did not fall, I cut it in that area to see it better)
    Thanks in advance for your time reading this, english is not my first language.









  2. #2
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    65
    Thanks
    1,494 Rec'd/1,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1097 Post(s)

    Re: Swollen Tumor in Chest Probably cancer

    What a handsome piggy!

    I can only speculate based on the information that you have provided. Keep in mind that I'm a human healthcare professional and my experience with cavies is limited to having kept them for several years.

    A lump that literally seems to develop overnight is likely NOT malignant. A malignancy is something that grows over time. Something sudden like this is likely a cyst or lipoma of some sort which means that it could either be drained or excised by a competent Vet. You have used both pronouns (he and she) so I can't speculate if it is something that a sow might develop as the result of a hormonal imbalance or a pathology that either sex could develop.

    Your piggy is at the age where things begin to go awry. My cavies have generally been healthy until they get to be about five years old, and then one issue or the other manifests. It's really like a human aging and various issues begin to arise when they are over 60 y.o.

    If you haven't done so as yet, I suggest that you post on http://www.guinealynx.info/ because it is a site devoted to medical issues and you are more likely to get good solid information there. Do try to shrink your pictures prior to posting them.

    Perhaps others will come along and have more information to offer you. Wishing you all the best!

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave Rywen's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 28, 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,027
    Thanks
    623
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)

    Swollen Tumor in Chest Probably cancer

    My Penny is 5.5 years old. She has a lipoma on her chest, it will be removed surgically next week. It started fast and is getting bigger pretty fast. The vet said lipomas are not usually cancer. Hers is squishy and easily moveable, not attached to anything.

    Last Fall Penny (same pig) had a trifoliculoma, a different kind of lump, removed. It was above her back leg. It was hard and not moveable. It also was not cancer.

    In other words, please take your piggie to the specialist vet that was recommended to you for an exam. Many piggies get lumps that are not cancer, especially as they get older.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •