Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay Rack?

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I need some recommendations.

I've been buying hay in bulk for my boys. Unfortunately, they seem to be going through the hay faster than I'd anticipated, primarily because of waste. I use a cat box for a kitchen and fill it with wood pellets, putting hay on top for my boys to snack on/play "bulldozer" in. They love it, but I feel like they're wasting the hay by trampling it down, kicking it out of the box, etc... I'm considering getting a hay rack or something to control the hay so they can't waste as much of it. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a hay rack, a hay box, or anything of the sort?

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
If you have a C&C cage and have extra grids, you can tie a grid to the side of the cage as a hay rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't tie grids to the side of the cage. Pigs can get in the hay rack, and if startled, can break a leg trying to get out. We've had a few of these over the years.

But you're gonna have a lot of wasted hay. That's just life with guinea pigs.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I cut out an opening from a plastic storage box. I put wood pellets inside on the bottom and top it with hay. I also have pellets on the rest of the kitchen level. (They only rarely are both in the hay box at the same time.);)
This photo is just the upper/kitchen level.

Attachments

PATIO PGGIE.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.