Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for suggestions for wild rabbits in my yard.

jamesbowers

Cavy Slave
I'm about 6 months in my new home and found out that my neighborhood seems to be adorned with many wild rabbits. They don't really harm anything and my family actually likes seeing them around. Come spring when I began mowing my back yard, I had a very unfortunate accident with the mower and one of the babies. It broke my heart. I didn't mow for another 3 weeks and when I finally did, I took extra care not to repeat the mistake. I did notice, though, that it appeared they had moved out of the area they were camping in, so I thought all was well.
Fast forward to last weekend, I was mowing again, still conscious of my last run in with the rabbits and as I came across a different patch of grass, two other small baby bunnies scurried out from under some thick grass and I didn't see them until I was almost right on top of them. I really don't want to do it again, but I have to mow my lawn.
Does anyone have any kind of suggestion for a wild rabbit friendly enclosure that I could possibly build or put in my yard that would allow them to feel safe, but not confined and it could become an area where I just don't mow because now I have some sort of structure? I don't really know much about rabbits, but I really don't want to keep killing them just keeping my lawn under control. I live in Northern Virginia, if that helps. I don't know what species they are. The adults appear to be about the size of a small cat, shortish ears, brindle grey/brown fur and bright white tail.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get a dog? You'd have to chase the bunnies out first, but that should keep them from coming back.

Seriously, though, googling "how to keep rabbits out of yard" will give you several options that might work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.