Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Am I giving my Guinea pigs the correct diet?

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
Veggies I offer my Guinea pigs.

I feed veggies 3 times daily.
I offer 3 tbsp of pellets each per pig
Unlimited hay.

Leaf green lettuce -little portions throughout day(morning, afternoon , night )

Fennel (afternoon)
Cucumber (morning)
Cilantro (afternoon)
Green,yellow,red pepper- either color not all of them (morning, night)

Cherry Tomatoe (morning)
Carrot (afternoon)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
For the veggies be careful with cilantro and fennel, they are quite high in calcium. A vegetable that you can feed daily that you aren't currently feeding is zucchini.

Aside from that my only other suggestion is to combine all of their vegetables into one meal and just give it all to them once a day. There are a few reasons for this, for example if they are expecting vegetables frequently they may eat less hay which is bad for their teeth (malocclusion is a very serious health issue that you absolutely want to avoid), it is hard to know if you are overfeeding vegetables if it is spread out (1 cup per pig per day of vegetables is the daily portion they should be getting), and if you ever needed to go away and have someone else look after them for a few days it is much easier if they are already used to only getting vegetables once a day.

Personally I feed my guinea pigs pellets in the morning, vegetables at night, and top up their hay as frequently as needed. If they start begging for treats throughout the day I just give them a little bit more fresh hay, or hand feed them some hay and they are more than happy with that.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
@Soecara brings up some very good points.......as usual. And, there are many other veggies that you can feel daily if you are looking for variety.

I will tell you that I feed essentially the same "salad" every day and my cavies are just as excited each time their dinner arrives. I feed spring mix, bell peppers, green beans, and either red cabbage or radicchio. When other vegetables are in season, I may add or substitute other items for variety. I also feed cucumber, celery leaves, dandelion greens, corn husks, or other suitable items. My cavies don't like many of the things that others feed such as tomatoes, zucchini, cilantro, most fruits with the exception of canteloupe or watermelon rind with a little of the flesh attached. And, I rarely give them carrots simply because of the sugar content.

If you feed too many vegetables and too often, your cavies simply won't eat enough hay to keep their teeth ground down and once they develop malocclusion, you have repeat dental bills usually for the rest of their lives. I had a painful experience with this.

Again, I echo the idea of feeding once a day.....I feed my boys about 6pm in the evening. I should mention that they have pellets available 24/7 and I have never had a problem with their weight. Oh, yes, if you ever need to go away, you are unlikely to find anyone to come over and feed your piggies more often than once per day. One becomes a virtual cavy slave in that you have to be there morning and evening to feed them.

If my boys get hungry and whine for a snack, I usually give them corn husks, radicchio or dandelion greens......anything that won't put weight on them. It seems that there is almost a predetermined time that they get hungry and it is around 2-3pm. At that point it has been a long time since their dinner, and they are satisfied with just enough food for a snack.

Don't drive yourself crazy with creating the perfect menu for them....they won't know the difference. Make it as simple as possible.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
What are some other veggies low in calcium I can feed my Guinea pigs. I have tried zucchini and they dont eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.