Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Skinny pig and newbie

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
So i have an almost 1 year old skinny pig, I just got a 2x5 cage to add a buddy for her. But I am nervous to add another with her because she has no fur and so she can get hurt easier. A rescue even said I have to be super careful. She hasnt been with another pig since she was a baby. I know all about proper introductions but I would like to hear about some good positive experineces with skinny pigs and hairy ones or should I get another skinny pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not the hair on the other pig that will hurt the skinny, it's the teeth and the nails, and another skinny would have both of those. I don't know why rescues say you have to be extra careful when pairing them with haired pigs -- no more care is required with a haired pig than with another skinny. What you have to be is watchful, and make sure any skin abrasions are promptly treated.

It also helps to use a Dremel and smooth the nails of the haired pig so the skinny won't get scratched.

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
It is worth trying tho right? So shes not alone. I keep worrying she may get hurt

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.