Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig persuasion essay

johnprine

Cavy Gazer
My girlfriend has been talking me into getting a guinea pig for awhile now - namely because she still lives with his parents. My answer is a loose "no". Here's an "essay" she wrote - Is any of this information correct? Should I consider? I would forever be in your debt if you could help me at this crucial moment in my life.

There are many aspects regarding a guinea pig that concern some people. However, owning a guinea pig can be beneficial, such as bearing responsibility, learning how to take care of animals, and the comfort one brings into the home. Guinea pig aren't pungent wild animals, but clean, loving family members. Some might interject and say, “why don’t you wait until you are 18 and have your own house?”, my response to that overused cliche is, didn’t you have an animal or task which taught yourself different aspects of responsibilities that you have mastered today? A guinea pig in domestication is far less likely to be a “nuisance or a burden” than to be a lovable pet. Guinea pigs can be litter box trained, they are fairly inexpensive to keep, and they give unconditional love once “warmed up” to their human counterparts. Some might wonder if guinea pigs smell. The honest answer is “yes” but in comparison to their animal kingdom counterparts such as ferrets,mice,hamsters, and even dogs, the answer is not really. The ability for a guinea pig to be a loving family member can be attributed to it’s domestication and background. The only way a guinea pig to defend itself is to use it’s sharp claws. Once this boundary of intimidation and shyness subside, a guinea pig is one of the kindest organisms one could ever fathom. Some parents may argue that “we have too many animals” or “why don’t you get one after you go to college”. Their use of circular logic is unable to coincide with the logic behind actually getting a guinea pig. The response to such question is that one only has an allotted amount of time before “real life” kicks in and one would be unable to care and love for such a wonderful creature, a guinea pig is not an “animal”, simply a pet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
On the outside chance that you're not just a troll, you both need to do some more research.

They can't be litter trained, although some cooperative pigs will choose a place to go and you can catch a lot of the output. They are not inexpensive, especially when they need a vet, which must be an exotic vet. They do not provide "unconditional love" to their humans -- they're mostly interested in food, and some remain skittish and hard to catch all their lives. They don't defend themselves with their claws, but with their razor-sharp teeth.

Read around on the forum -- you'll get a lot of information that way.

johnprine

Cavy Gazer
On the outside chance that you're not just a troll, you both need to do some more research.

They can't be litter trained, although some cooperative pigs will choose a place to go and you can catch a lot of the output. They are not inexpensive, especially when they need a vet, which must be an exotic vet. They do not provide "unconditional love" to their humans -- they're mostly interested in food, and some remain skittish and hard to catch all their lives. They don't defend themselves with their claws, but with their razor-sharp teeth.

Read around on the forum -- you'll get a lot of information that way.

Thanks for you comment!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
You have asked very good questions that all potential pet owners should ask. IMO, you should only get a pet if you want one and understand the care and responsibility it involves. Would you be considering adopting a guinea pig if your girlfriend hadn’t suggested it? Would you still want the guinea pig if your girlfriend broke up with you?

Guinea pigs live 5-8 years, and sometimes longer so this is a long-term commitment that could last longer than the relationship you and your girlfriend share. Actually, that’s longer than some marriages!

The essay written by your girlfriend is only partly true, and I would argue some of the reasoning.

1. No one should get a pet to learn responsibility. We should have already demonstrated responsibility before getting a pet that is completely dependent on us for food, care, and medical.

2. The odor thing is ridiculous. Animals smell when they don’t have a clean environment, or when there are health issues and illness. If animals smell in a pet store or rescue, their cages have not been cleaned often enough.

3. Guinea pigs defend themselves by hiding and will bite and claw when scared, the same as any other frightened animal. They can bite hard and draw blood. If properly cared for it shouldn’t come to that. They don’t like being picked up, although many do like to be held on a lap. However, they are so fragile even a short fall can be fatal so you have to keep them safe.

4. Guinea pigs cannot be litter trained. They eat, pee, and poop 24/7. They may tend to use the corners of their cage, but they go everywhere. And they drag their hay with them. I have 1 female on fleece and I wash 3 loads of laundry each week just for her.

5. I don’t know what your girlfriend considers inexpensive. Food, litter, fleece, a large cage (about 8 square feet for 1 guinea pig) all add up. That’s before vet bills for an exotic vet. Some piggy parents on this forum have spent thousands for medical issues.

I know this sounds negative, but pet ownership is serious.

I love my little girl, she’s been a member of the family for 2 years and I hope we have many more years ahead. I love watching her run around her cage, moving her hideys, wheeking at me, and I love finding things for her to do. I don’t mind the extra work or expense, but not everyone is an animal person like I am.

That’s my opinion and I think you already knew how you felt before you asked. Stay true to yourself and don’t get talked into something you will regret. That’s how so many of these little pets end up homeless in rescues.

Best of luck to you!

Green25
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Green25
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

gregthomason1212

Cavy Gazer
My girlfriend has been talking me into getting a guinea pig for awhile now - namely because she still lives with his parents. My answer is a loose "no". Here's an "essay" she wrote - Is any of this information correct? Should I consider? I would forever be in your debt if you could help me at this crucial moment in my life.
They don't defend themselves with their claw

davemarks

Cavy Gazer

Best site for students https://essaypapers.reviews/
They don't defend themselves with their claw

Agree, it`s incorrect information