Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Snickers' Medical Thread

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Re: Stain in Corner of Guinea Pig's Eye

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to get some Critical Care from the vet clinic that I took him to; I called them this morning to ask what to do since he hasn't been eating much, and the vet recommended Critical Care.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

A couple of suggestions re feeding Critical Care. Go to a pet shop and ask for a 30 or 60gm/cc "small animal feeding syringe". Mix the CC with water or unflavored Pedialyte to a soupy consistency so that you can pour it into the syringe. It will continue to thicken for a few minutes. Don't even think of trying to draw it up like you would do a liquid with a small syringe.....it will drive you crazy! Use the larger capacity syringe and try to get a good amount into him at one feeding. The more he will consume in a feeding, the less often you will have to feed him. If he is still eating on his own, then you may be able to get away with feeding him only 2x/day.

My cavies have always absolutely LOVED unflavored Pedialyte. Buy the much cheaper generic version at almost any drugstore, grocery store, or places like Target, WalMart, etc. While feeding the CC, give him about three bites and then syringe some water or Pedialyte mixed with water. He will need a "chaser" in order to get the CC down. Follow the normal eating pattern where they will eat a few bites and then have a couple of sips of water.

Should you need to feed CC over a period of time, I like to mix a bit of baby food with it to provide variety. Beechnut makes some organic, no sugar added flavors that my boys have always liked......kale & apple, carrot & pumpkin, etc.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Thank you for the suggestions! I went to the vet office where I took him to get some CC, and they gave me one of the big syringes. The day before yesterday I gave him about a tablespoon and then yesterday about the same amount, because he was fussing too much for me to get it in him. For some reason he despises taking the Critical Care even more than his medicine. Maybe it was because he needed some water to chase it down like you said, but I didn't know at the time. Today I haven't fed him any because he's doing much better! I'm keeping a close eye on him and still giving him the Bene-Bac, but I'm hoping I won't have to feed him anymore CC since he really doesn't like taking it.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Do I have to give him the Bene-Bac for as long as I am giving him the antibiotics?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Long and short? Yes. The benebac helps counteract the effects of the antibiotic, insofar that it helps to replace the good gut flora that pigs need to digest food.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Hello! Apologies for never responding to this thread and giving an update on what happened. Snickers recovered from the URI and is doing good for the most part.

Recently I've noticed that he scratches himself a lot during the day. Like, quite a few times when I'm just hanging out with him and petting him in his cage. I've treated him in the past with Ivermectin as a precautionary measure against mites, so I don't think that's the cause, though I honestly have no idea. He has no hair loss or scabs or anything like that, although he does shed a lot. I just realized that maybe his itchiness or skin irritation is the reason he's a bit prickly about being pet and sometimes bites, and I feel guilty that I haven't looked into this sooner. Does anyone have advice on what could be causing all this scratching?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

How exactly did you treat him for mites? What medicine? What strength? What size dose? How many doses? How far apart?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

How exactly did you treat him for mites? What medicine? What strength? What size dose? How many doses? How far apart?

I treated him with the Durvet Ivermectin Pour-on for Cattle. I did a lot of research, looked at reviews online of people who used the same stuff for their pigs, then calculated the dose (I don't remember what exactly it was), but it came out to be a small drop behind each ear. I dosed him once a week for 3-4 weeks. Every once in a while (quite a few months apart) I treat him again, just as a precaution. The last time I treated him was in July.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

I know it's been a little while, but I'm still wondering, does anyone have advice or experience with lots of scratching but no mites? He also sheds a lot and sometimes has dandruff; does this have anything to do with it? I really want him to be happy and healthy, and if there's a problem that's making his skin irritated, I want to figure it out.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave

I second trying the anti-fungal shampoo. Flower had kind of a chronic, mild dandruff/shedding/itching thing going on and it seemed to help her to be bathed with Nizoral shampoo.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

That sounds like a good idea! I just discovered at the house that we have some anti-dandruff shampoo so I'm going to try that first. Thank you for the suggestions!

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Could one of the admins change the title of this thread to Snickers' Medical Thread? I've got another medical-related issue. Snickers hasn't eaten much since yesterday and I'm starting to worry. The first sign was when I came into the room a while after I'd spot-cleaned his cage last night and there were still pellets in his bowl...which he normally gobbles up right after cleaning. This morning he's barely come out of his tent and has only eaten one piece of green bell pepper, when I gave him three...which again, is odd because he loves his vegetables. His fur is puffed even though it's not that cold and his poops are smaller than usual and smelly. He was nibbling on some hay a few minutes ago but just retreated back into his fortress. I can't rush him to the vet until I know this isn't a passing bug...I know that sounds horrible but I don't have much money left in my emergency fund. What should I do?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

I am scared that he has bloat. I tapped his stomach and it sounds hollow.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

If it is bloat, you can get some Ovol children's gas drops from the pharmacy. That, and I have found that a vibrating toothbrush, or a Gillette Power razor with the razor removed under a towel for a makeshift vibrating pillow can help. I would definitely get him in to see the vet however.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Okay, thank you. I could not find Ovol children's gas drops but I did find a similar product. Snickers is eating, but not as much as he usually does. I will see about getting an appointment with the vet.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Please keep us posted on how he's doing!

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

I will. How should I dose the drops?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

My vet recommended about .2 ml

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave

Thank you! I do not have an electric toothbrush or razor I can use for a vibrating pillow. Would a gentle massage help?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.