Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Snickers' Medical Thread

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, I would start supplementing with Critical Care. And if he's eating pellets, I would give him an extra helping to see if he eats more. That would help him gain weight.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
One of the methods for increasing his nutrition is to sprinkle regular rolled oats in with his pellets. In general, cavies seem to like them and in fact will often pick them out of the pellets. That becomes an issue only if you have two cavies and one needs to gain weight and the other doesn't. I don't know if Snickers has a cagemate, but do keep that in mind.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. I did start feeding Snickers Critical Care starting last night. To my surprise he actually liked it and ate most without a fuss. Fed him more this morning and a tiny bit at lunch. I gave him more pellets and added some rolled oats. I figure all this combined with the alfalfa will help him gain weight. He is acting more like his normal self and seems more relaxed. Thank you again for the help! And Snickers does not have a cagemate.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Yesterday morning when I weighed him he was 911 grams. This morning he is 893. He doesn't like the oats and I don't know what else to do. His poops are small and far between. I am going to try getting some gas drops in case it is bloat.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Sorry for posting triple, I don't mean to be annoying at all, but I really need some advice. I called the vet just now to ask if there is anything else I can do to get Snickers weight up or anything else...they just recommended bringing him back in to do the x-ray, which is going to cost $220 not including the vet visit. I am at a loss what to do. Unfortunately I am tight on money and don't want to pay that much for something that may or may not tell me if there's an issue. Due to the coronavirus I am not working because a few members of my family are at high risk.

All I know for certain is that I haven't seen any more brown spots in Snickers' urine since last week, and that his weight has hovered around 900 grams for the past five days without improvement despite me feeding him Critical Care, alfalfa hay, and extra pellets. Frustrated beyond myself...I know the reasonable thing is to take him to the vet, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on an x-ray that may not even tell me what the problem is.

Thoughts?

More specifically, his appetite is not very good and he goes through periods of time where he won't eat for a few hours (at least that I know of). He's not hunched up and he doesn't look like he's in pain, although sometimes when I pick him up he feels bloated. I was giving him a tiny bit of the gas drops I got, but I'm not sure how often to give. His poops are just really small and a few are misshapen. He's being picky about veggies and hates the Critical Care now.

This morning I was thinking that maybe he's just going downhill because he's older and there's not much I can do about it...but today he was so active and happy and I know that he's still got so much life in him. I know I probably sound like a terrible pig parent.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Without reading back, how old is he? It's perfectly normal for senior pigs to lose weight. The usual pattern is that they lose a little, plateau for a while, lose a little more, another plateau, etc. On top of that, it's very difficult to get a senior pig to gain weight.

How much weight has he lost over what period of time?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
He is going to be 7 this year. Unfortunately I haven't been the most consistent with weighing him in the past (I am doing that regularly now). November and December last year he hovered around 930-940, and since then has steadily dropped, sometimes increasing, but overall dropping.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The weight loss sounds pretty normal to me.

But I wouldn't feed him alfalfa hay. The last thing you want is bladder stones.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Okay. He doesn't like it as much as the timothy hay, anyways. So I shouldn't be concerned by his small poops and low appetite since hes just getting older?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I'd still work on the poop issue. I just wouldn't be too concerned about the weight loss.

Have you tried supplementing him with vitamin C? That will sometimes perk a senior pig up quite a bit. Oasis Vita Drops makes a liquid vitamin C that you can syringe them. It also might not hurt to give him the multi-vitamin preparation, just not as often as Oasis recommends. We don't usually recommend multivitamin drops for them, because they contain a lot of fat-soluble vitamins. And guinea pigs are just balls of fat and fur, so there's a danger of them getting too many of those vitamins. But I have used them for a senior pig with good results. I cut the dose in half and only gave them every other day. I can't remember how long I gave them, but probably six weeks or so.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
No, I haven't tried supplementing him with vitamin C. So should I get the multivitamin Oasis Vita Drops and the regular vitamin C Oasis Vita drops or just the multivitamin?

Should I stop feeding him Critical Care then?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could experiment with feeding the CC. If you stop it for a few days, and the weight loss resumes, then I'd continue to feed it. Maybe he'd like another flavor of it better (mine always preferred the original flavor), or maybe he'd like a pellet slurry better.

If you can, get both kinds of vitamin drops. He should get the plain C daily, and the other about three times a week.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thank you so much for the help.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
How much of each should I give him?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Woke up this morning to find Snickers could barely walk across the cage. He is favoring his left paw very much and hopping around. I examined him and he does not seem to have any sores, pokes, or tender spots on his feet. I noticed him get slightly stiff over the last few days, and chalked it up to age. There have been no recent falls, twists, etc. I am thinking it may be arthritis. Any suggestions as to what this could be?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I'm also wondering if this could be caused by not enough vitamin C? Three weeks ago I was giving him vitamin C from Oasis via syringe every day, then two weeks ago I started doing every other day, then less because I went camping the 15th through the 19th and he wouldn't be able to get fresh veggies or the liquid stuff during that time. But he did have his pellets of course. After I got back I started giving him the vitamin C again every other day. It just seems so sudden.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
What is the dosage of vitamin C that you’re supplementing? I ask because too much vitamin C can irritate existing arthritis and cause joint stiffness. It would be easy to give too much in liquid form.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I've always given him under 0.3 ml. Today out of fear of scurvy I gave him about 0.3. Ah, yikes. Now I'm worried I've been giving him too much...

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
So I've been giving him too much...I feel awful. If I stop the liquid vitamin C, is there any chance of improvement? Or is the damage done?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.