Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Nesting Material

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Hello there! I have two piggies, and 1 of them has a mass in her ear. She’s had it for a while but it had started to clear up so I stopped giving her ear drops that my vet gave me. Anyways, today I noticed that her head is tilted and she’s just disoriented so I have given her drops and made the cage a little extra comfy. But, I was wondering if nesting material could be used to make my piggie extra comfortable while lying down. Anyone have any ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A mass in her ear? What kind of mass?

If she's got fleece or a cozy to lie in, I doubt she needs anything else. And most nesting material that I know about can be eaten, and guinea pigs shouldn't have it for fear of a bowel obstruction.

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you! And about the ear, I’m not exactly sure what it is but it’s just a type of mass that pretty much “clogs” her ear. Other than now, it hasn’t really affected her...

Update on her: she’s getting around well, she’s still disoriented but she has an interest in eating and exploring. She’s currently out for floor time. She has fallen a few times but gets up right away. She walks in circles frequently but she’s staying strong. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to reply. Also, does anyone know if her disorientation will go away as i continue to treat her ear with drops?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Without knowing what the mass is or what medicine she's taking, I couldn't even guess whether she'll be okay. I can't imagine what a mass in the ear would be unless it's impacted ear wax, and I wouldn't think it would take too long to get rid of that.

Did you take her to an exotic vet?

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
it’s not ear wax or impaction. When the mass first appeared I took her to the vet. They gave me Tresederm, which is an antibiotic and medicine for ear infections specifically. I would send a picture but I wouldn’t want to gross anyone out!!

Also another update: she’s eating normally and seems fine other than her slight disorientation. Floor time was a success and I think it helped her get used to her wobbly body and she seems to be getting around better now. 2nd round of ear drops are going in right now...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can post the picture -- that's what the forum is for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.