Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Appropriate Cage

What are your thoughts about these big ferret cages that I found online? I am in search for a spacious cage for my guinea but is not that sure on which one to purchase.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Re: The Appropriate Cage

Guinea pigs need lots of horizontal space to run around and popcorn. Cages with multiple layers like those, and no walls for protection, are dangerous for a piggy with such a delicate bone structure. C&C, Midwest cages, or homemade cages with lots of square space on one level; with maybe a loft and a ramp with a low, steady incline are the best options for a guinea pig.

3. "Thank you, Candalalala, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,154 Rec'd/5,692 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3723 Post(s)

Ditto @Candalala. Ferret cages are designed for ferrets, not guinea pigs. Take a look at the Photo Galleries here, and you'll see that almost all those cages are large and flat.

I wouldn't recommend a Midwest cage -- they might do for one pig, but they're too small for two, and guinea pigs really need a buddy.

It's pretty easy to make a C&C cage -- see http://www.cavyspirit.com and https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...cage-materials.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Guinea pigs need lots of horizontal space to run around and popcorn. Cages with multiple layers like those, and no walls for protection, are dangerous for lightning link pokies a delicate bone structure. C&C, Midwest cages, or homemade cages with lots of square space on one level; with maybe a loft and a ramp with a low, steady incline are the best options for a guinea pig.
    Thanks for the tip!

User Tag List