Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Accidentally bought oxbox garden select for rabbits instead of for guinea pigs.

brookiehcookie

Cavy Slave
Would it be ok to feed them the rabbit garden select pellets versus the guinea pig garden select pellets? The store won't accept returns under the fact I got the rabbit bag by mistake since it looks so similar to the guinea pig bag. Is there that big of a difference in nutrition

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The only difference I can see between the oxbow garden select guinea pig and oxbow garden select rabbit pellets is the rabbit pellets don't guarantee the vitamin C content. The ingredient lists look identical, and the crude analysis looks identical aside from the vitamin C.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That’s an easy mistake to make. The pellets are similar except for vitamin C. Rabbits don’t need a vitamin C supplement but it is essential for guinea pigs. They are like people in that respect and need to get vitamin C from food or supplements.

You can feed daily Oxbow Natural Science vitamin C tabs along with veggies like bell pepper. It’s not recommended to use the supplements that are added to water. It changes the flavor of the water, breaks down and loses potency quickly, and you never know how much water they will drink.

brookiehcookie

Cavy Slave
That’s an easy mistake to make. The pellets are similar except for vitamin C. Rabbits don’t need a vitamin C supplement but it is essential for guinea pigs. They are like people in that respect and need to get vitamin C from food or supplements.

You can feed daily Oxbow Natural Science vitamin C tabs along with veggies like bell pepper. It’s not recommended to use the supplements that are added to water. It changes the flavor of the water, breaks down and loses potency quickly, and you never know how much water they will drink.

Thank you for the tips! I wanted to make sure it was safe for them before I gave it to them. They get ~ 1/8 bell pepper per meal to begin with, I will look into the oxbow vitamin c tablets so that have something to help supplement the food.

brookiehcookie

Cavy Slave
The only difference I can see between the oxbow garden select guinea pig and oxbow garden select rabbit pellets is the rabbit pellets don't guarantee the vitamin C content. The ingredient lists look identical, and the crude analysis looks identical aside from the vitamin C.
Thanks for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.