Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

White crust in ear ! Advice !

Iíve had my guinea pig fry since July last year. Today I was feeling his ears while playing with him and felt a scab like feeling. When I checked it was white crust on the inside of his ear more towards the outer inside of his ear. I donít know if you can tell but it also appears to have like a tiny little hole where the scab is. What can this be ? Do I need to take him to the vet as soon as possible ??!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC80F9D1-AE33-466B-89DC-59EC547A5B5A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	85949  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,093 Rec'd/5,638 Posts
    Mentioned
    1990 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3671 Post(s)

Re: White crust in ear ! Advice !

I'd try applying an antifungal cream to it twice a day for a while. Lotrimin is good, and is available from any pharmacy. But wash your hands carefully after handling him -- fungus is contagious. See http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for information on how to deal with it.

Is the area around the hole swollen at all? Or hot, or does it have pus? If not, I'd just watch, and see a vet if there are any changes.

Is he housed with another pig?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'd try applying an antifungal cream to it twice a day for a while. Lotrimin is good, and is available from any pharmacy. But wash your hands carefully after handling him -- fungus is contagious. See http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for information on how to deal with it.

Is the area around the hole swollen at all? Or hot, or does it have pus? If not, I'd just watch, and see a vet if there are any changes.

Is he housed with another pig?
    No itís not hot nor has puss. Itís not swollen at all either. Itís kind of like a scab. Heís our only guinea pig and heís our first too. So we donít know what exactly whatís happening to his ear

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,093 Rec'd/5,638 Posts
    Mentioned
    1990 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3671 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the hole, but if there's no infection, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The anti-fungal medicine should take care of the white stuff.

User Tag List