Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alternative to Green Leaf/ Red Leaf Lettuce

I have 2 males almost 9 months. They are doing great love green and red leaf lettuce. My question is the stores where I live seem to have malnourished lettuce The heads are super tiny - Im having to buy a ton and then cut it all up. Is there a better alternative? I looked at the pre mixed salad but they all have spinach. I'm just wondering if 1- there is another lettuce choice that I can get a bigger head of and 2 - easier on me if it's already pre cut Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,093 Rec'd/5,638 Posts
    Mentioned
    1990 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3671 Post(s)

Re: Alternative to Green Leaf/ Red Leaf Lettuce

It's the time of year that's the problem. You'll shortly get much better lettuce in the stores.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,484 Rec'd/1,220 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

Re: Alternative to Green Leaf/ Red Leaf Lettuce

I feed my cavies spring mix year-round. Different vendors have varying greens in their mix. Just be sure NOT to buy the half spring mix/half spinach as it's way too much oxalic acid for cavies. Yes, there is some spinach in spring mix, but generally not enough to cause problems......at least in my experience. I usually buy the organic mix from Costco, BJs, or WalMart as it is much less expensive than in a regular grocery store.

One way to extend the life of spring mix is to immediately portion it into two half-gallon bags with a generous sheet of paper towel to absorb the excess water. Again, different vendors pack their mix with varying degrees of moisture. If you don't remove it from its container promptly, the excess moisture will cause it to spoil quickly. And, believe me my cavies know if the mix is nearing the end of its lifespan.......they simply won't eat it.

4. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List