Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Question Rescued Rat Isnt Handtame Please Help

So a few months ago I brought home a pair of rats from our local shelter. They were born there and there was no time to hand tame them there. They were the last of their litter, seniors. People don't adopt rats in this town. So anyway, I brought home the pair, but after about a month the sister passed away. This was expected, they are over 2 years old.

Since I didn't want her to feel so lonely, we moved her cage to the busiest spot in the house. She is spunky and curious and energetic...but she wants to bite as soon as you get near the cage. It makes cleaning hard, and also her cage is on the smaller side so I would like to give her out of cage time but she is too aggressive.

Any advice on hand taming older rats, or how to handle her without either getting bit or hurting her would be greatly appreciated. I know she is better off here, but I would like to make her a happy rat if that's possible.

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)

Re: Rescued Rat Isnt Handtame Please Help

I've had rats for over 25 years and a few were older when I adopted them and I never had a biter. Your poor little rat must be so frightened that she feels she must act defensively. I wish I had the magic answer for you. I'm sure you are doing everything possible to give her a wonderful life. I really commend you for that. The fact that you were willing to take these little senior rats shows what a kind person you are. I'm afraid the only advice I can give you is to either handle her while wearing a pair of gloves or perhaps you could encourage her to go into a little tunnel, such as one for a guinea pig and then while holding her securely you or someone else could clean her cage.

I still think that she may overcome her fear and while she may never be completely hand-tamed she will eventually learn to trust you. Just like guinea pigs, treats are the way to a rat's heart. My ratties just love bits of apple and watermelon.

I wish you the best of luck with your little girl and thank you for giving this rattie a new home.

User Tag List