Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Still new to guinea pigs and want to learn more about chewing

piggywiggies4ev

Cavy Gazer
Hello, so in short I have two guinea pigs and have had them since they were two months old. They were rescue pigs from the shelter on which they informed me they were from an animal abuse situation. Their names are Maple (Abyssinian) and Shadow (American). Maple is the dominant pig. Now, when I hold one or the other they get jeleious. So I have to hold them both at the same time or they start to pur (the held one) or squeal (the one in the cage or having floor time). The problem I am having is whenever I am holding both. Shadow always tucks his body under my chin, but Maple lays next to him and continues to bite my shirt... I have tried food distractions, I give each piggy the same amount of attention, when I put him back in case of potty needs he starts to pur or squeal till I pick him up again, they have no mites or lice nor any signs of them. Only when I hold both Shadow and Maple. I asked the vet, but he didn't exactly have an answer for me on why, anyone here have experience with this and how to stop it as he doesn't really have interest in eating when he is sitting on top of me next to Shadow (who once again is a good piggy and just tucks himself under my chin maybe comes out for a nuzzle or two) he just continues to bite or (nibble) and they hurt as they tend to go through my shirt. He used to be super determined to chew on my hair till I got it cut too short (parcially for this reason) for him to reach. Does anyone have any ideas why?? Or better yet how to get him to stop???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pigs that nibble at clothing usually want to be put back in their cage.

And it's fine if they complain when the other one is being held. They'll survive. You don't have to hold them both at once.

When you're holding Maple, put him in your lap, not on your neck or your shirt. Feed him yummy treats (part of his veggies will do), and gently pet him while you're holding him. He'll come to associate being held with things he likes to eat,and will eventually calm down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.