Thread: 3 males in a 2x4 C&C cage: how long do I have?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 males in a 2x4 C&C cage: how long do I have?

Hello,

We are fostering 3 little boy guineapigs in a 2x4 C&C cage. They are growing. How long will this work for?

Their cage has a fleece lining, fleece over 3 of the corners to make hideys, plus a rotation of boxes/tunnels in the middle. I'm using a kitty litter tray with wood pellet bedding as a kitchen area for their pellets, water and hay rack and vegges get scattered all over.

It's mostly working great: they do most of their poos in the kitty tray, making cleaning up easier than it might be, they run around their cage. They seem to prefer hanging out in their own little hideys, though I haven't figured out if each boy has a preferred location.

My question is that I know 3 males in a 2x4 is too small. These boys are about 11 weeks old (we originally fostered them and their mum when they were a week old, but she has gone back to the rescue once they had to be separated). I know that puberty will hit and they may argue more. They are very sweet and my kids love them. I'm intending to continue fostering them for the forseeable future: the rescue shelter is overwhelmed and appreciate the help. But I'm wondering how long it will work before we have problems with not enough space for 3 growing boys: expanding the cage is not an easy option for me.

They do get quite a lot of floor time in a much larger area outside on the terrace: at least an hour most days, often more. However we are heading into winter here and it'll get down to around 10 degrees C (that's 50F), which I gather is chilly for guineapigs, is that right? So I'm not sure how long I can keep getting them outside on a near-daily basis. I can't do floortime indoors. Does floortime make much difference to how they get along in a smaller cage?

Based on your experience, how long will this work for before it doesn't? So far they seem to get along perfectly well: minor rumbling on a regular basis, lots of wheeking and popcorns, lots of lying around looking relaxed.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    457 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    370 Post(s)

Re: 3 males in a 2x4 C&C cage: how long do I have?

I'm on the road so just a quick reply. In my experience with one senior boar and two babies, it worked fine until they were about five months old

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,133 Rec'd/5,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3708 Post(s)

Re: 3 males in a 2x4 C&C cage: how long do I have?

IMO, you don't have long. It could all go south any time now.

Three boars almost never works anyway. We don't recommend it, and it fails about 99% of the time. Floor time doesn't compensate for a small cage.

Since you're just fostering, can you get another cage and put one of them in it?

User Tag List