Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Baby Piggies - Sneezing, Crusty Eyes, NO VET

Hey there! So, I need some help and advice. I just purchased two female baby piggies from the pet store two days ago. The worker said they were just brought in that morning, so they're very tiny and she said she believes them to be around 6 weeks old. I noticed they had minimal crust around their eyes which has progressively gotten worse over the past two days. No sneezing on the first day but now they are sneezing here and there, but not excessively. I'm very worried because I called the pet store to schedule a veterinary appointment with a trusted exotic vet down the road but they can only get me in Sunday at 10 AM, which is three days from now. I am fearful that they won't make it because they're so young and vulnerable. I was thinking of going to the pet store to pick up some eye drops so that I can hopefully keep them safe for the next few days. But i'm not entirely sure what the best thing is to do here. I can't afford to bring them into the vets as an emergency because it is SO expensive around here and they're considered exotic. Please help. I don't want to lose these babies. What is the best way to keep them cared for the next three days?

Also, they are both eating well! I keep some veggies in there for them to snack on and a lot of hay for them to eat whenever they need. They also have their pellets and a water bottle. I haven't seen one of them drink anything yet because she's been so skittish and scared. She's mostly hid under her hidey but I saw her come out three or so times to grab some food today which she never did before. Her friend/sister was way more active but one of her eyes is almost completely shut and her energy seems to be deteriorating. They also fluff up their fur and i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also see them cleaning themselves a lot and wonder if that's suspicious in any way either. Maybe they're taking bacteria from their paws into their eyes? I'm not sure. Please help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Re: Baby Piggies - Sneezing, Crusty Eyes, NO VET

They are both ill, by the sounds of it. Puffed up fur, lethargy, and swollen eyes is a big indication that something is wrong. Guinea pigs are prey animals and hide their illnesses well, oftentimes to the point that it's too late. If they're showing symptoms, they need medical care as soon as they can get it.

A guinea pig can go from first symptoms to dead in 24 hours. Pneumonia is especially deadly for them especially when young. I understand they money aspect, but these two little girls sound like they need treatment now. 3 days will likely be too late.

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

I was just thinking about your two little ladies. Did you get them in today? Is everything ok?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello! So sorry for the late reply, i've been super busy with everything lately. But, excellent news! The two babies are healthy and are doing amazing! They were very active the day before going to the vets which gave me a lot of hope and I did a lot of praying. Thankfully I was able to get them some antibiotics which I give them twice a day now. They've been getting more comfortable in their new home, exploring and whatnot, and are noisy as ever. So, I believe they're feeling a lot better internally too! :) Thank you so much for your time and checking in on the piggies again. We all appreciate your support!

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Good to hear! Very glad everything is ok. Be aware, antibiotics can and likely will mess with a guinea pigs appetite, so you may need to feed Critical Care if they don't eat on their own.

Thanks for the update, and keep us posted!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

In addition, antibiotics can cause digestion issues (diarrhea, etc) so make sure you are using a probiotic as well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They have been eating their pellets, hay and most of the fruits/veggies/lettuce that I give them. I still hear them sneeze from time to time but their eyes have completely cleared up. They are still pooping normally and I haven’t witnessed any diarrhea. Also, the vet only gave me one bottle of antibiotics, and I give them 0.5 out of a syringe twice daily. Should I call the vet back and ask for a probiotic? She said to call if they weren’t eating their food and she could give them something to help them eat. (CC?) She also said Oxbow would be the best switch to make for their pellets. What do you guys use to feed your piggies? I want to make sure they are in the best hands and getting treated well.

User Tag List