Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea From critical care or antibiotics?

emilya

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig Spunk has been sick for a little while now. At first I noticed his poops were very small and dry, and then he started sleeping all day. I took him to a vet who misdiagnosed him with an uri. I then took him to another vet (who I love and trust with Spunk but was booked before) and he did many different tests. He thinks Spunk hurt his neck and is in a lot of pain. He prescribed him medicine for his pain, told me to keep him on the antibiotics just in case, and gave us critical care. Now he is very energetic and mostly back to himself, but he now has diarrhea. Any advice?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Have you been giving a probiotic along with the antibiotic? Pretty much any antibiotic will mess with a pig's gut to some extent, and it's highly recommended to give a probiotic along with any antibiotic.

I always liked to use (broken link removed) probiotic; it's one that's made specifically for animals. You can find it at any (broken link removed) or get it off Amazon. Comes in a powder form and also as a gel in a dosing syringe (I always felt like the gel in the syringe was easier to use). Just make sure you get the one that is for herbivores (it has "for guinea pigs" listed on the label). Another option is to give a plain, human acidophilus probiotic. And the absolute best probiotic -- if you have another pig who is healthy and not currently on antibiotics -- is to take half of a fresh stool from the healthy animal, mix it with water, and give to the sick pig with an oral syringe.

Probiotics should be given about an hour or two after each antibiotic dose.

emilya

Cavy Gazer
I have not given him a probiotic but today was his last day on the antibiotics anyways, is there anything else I can do? Such as not giving him certain veggies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.