Thread: From critical care or antibiotics?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From critical care or antibiotics?

My guinea pig Spunk has been sick for a little while now. At first I noticed his poops were very small and dry, and then he started sleeping all day. I took him to a vet who misdiagnosed him with an uri. I then took him to another vet (who I love and trust with Spunk but was booked before) and he did many different tests. He thinks Spunk hurt his neck and is in a lot of pain. He prescribed him medicine for his pain, told me to keep him on the antibiotics just in case, and gave us critical care. Now he is very energetic and mostly back to himself, but he now has diarrhea. Any advice?

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Re: From critical care or antibiotics?

Have you been giving a probiotic along with the antibiotic? Pretty much any antibiotic will mess with a pig's gut to some extent, and it's highly recommended to give a probiotic along with any antibiotic.

I always liked to use BeneBac probiotic; it's one that's made specifically for animals. You can find it at any petstore or get it off Amazon. Comes in a powder form and also as a gel in a dosing syringe (I always felt like the gel in the syringe was easier to use). Just make sure you get the one that is for herbivores (it has "for guinea pigs" listed on the label). Another option is to give a plain, human acidophilus probiotic. And the absolute best probiotic -- if you have another pig who is healthy and not currently on antibiotics -- is to take half of a fresh stool from the healthy animal, mix it with water, and give to the sick pig with an oral syringe.

Probiotics should be given about an hour or two after each antibiotic dose.

3. "Thank you, LittleSqueakers, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: From critical care or antibiotics?

I have not given him a probiotic but today was his last day on the antibiotics anyways, is there anything else I can do? Such as not giving him certain veggies?

User Tag List