Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! New and need advice

guineaditzkis

Cavy Gazer
New guinea pig mom here looking for some advice. 2 young male guinea pigs were given to us and one has become injured. He has been to the vet and such, happy eating pooping, no pain, all good. I built them a 4x2 C&C cage before the injury and they were housed together just fine. After I put the injured boy in a 1x2 section of the cage separated by 2 grids. This way they can still be together while letting the injured one heal, our healthy guy has the other 3x2 section. We have put them together now that the injury is as good as it is going to get but only when I can sit a monitor them. There is a lot of rumble strutting, teeth chattering, dominant behaviors, etc. Does anyone house 2 males together where one is injured successfully? Do you think it is better to keep them separate but with access to each other? Now that our injured one is as healed as he is going to be I feel like he needs more space and I would love to try a litter box in his cage. Ideas, advice, and links would be greatly appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You needed to have reintroduced them as if they'd never met before. It doesn't work to just put them back together when they've been separated for any reason. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html on how to do that.

I'd put them back together. But you'll have to expect some squabbling, as they have yet to go through puberty, and they have to figure out which one is dominant.

guineaditzkis

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much bpatters! I will check out the link and wanted to reintroduce them. Thanks for the encouragement!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.