Thread: Fleece Bedding Not Drying In Dryer/Is Prolonged Damp Fleece Dangerous For Piggies?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fleece Bedding Not Drying In Dryer/Is Prolonged Damp Fleece Dangerous For Piggies?

Yesterday I cleaned the cage of my two piggies and I washed their fleece. I dried it for hours and it was still a little damp (my dryer would stop a few minutes after turning it on because Iím assuming it didnít think the fleece was wet for whatever reason). It was a little damp to the touch but it felt like it would air dry on its own quick so I put it back in the girlsí cage. The next day it is still a little damp. Iím worried that being on a damp fleece for so long will have negative affects on them. Am I crazy or are there serious risks involved in this? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Thanks
    470 Rec'd/420 Posts
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)

Re: Fleece Bedding Not Drying In Dryer/Is Prolonged Damp Fleece Dangerous For Piggies

Set your dryer to a setting where it won't detect the dampness of the fabric. Having your piggies on damp fleece will definitely have a negative effect on them. The idea of the fleece is to wick the dampness AWAY from them, keeping them dry, comfortable, and illness and fungus free.

Definitely don't put them back on damp fleece.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Re: Fleece Bedding Not Drying In Dryer/Is Prolonged Damp Fleece Dangerous For Piggies

Is it just plain fleece, or did you sew absorbent pads to it? Fleece dries VERY quickly -- a full washer load of plain fleece dried in less than 20 minutes in my not-very-efficient dryer.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I have had fleece air dry in a few hours. As bpatter asked are you using liners?

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I made my fleece liners using waterproof mattress protectors and towels. If you did the same, then they’re going to take forever to dry. I have two just so I can put one down and let the other dry for as long as it needs.
    If I knew how long it takes to dry towels before, I wouldn’t have used them. But for my first liners they’re fine.

User Tag List