Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Indoor vs outdoor

alisasguineas

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I just bought all the supplies for my new guineas such as a cage, hay, food, toys, beddings, beds, playpens, and all other essentials. I brought all my stuff into my boyfriends house and his dad refused to let them stay inside because of the smell. (Which was just hay since the guineas aren’t here yet) He told me I would have to keep them outside in the shed. I live in so cal so I know it never really gets too cold or too hot and the shed is insulated and it has a ceiling fan and floor fan so it never really will get too hot. I plan to play with them inside and outside in the playpen I got them. But was just wondering if this is okay? I have read lots of things online that guinea pigs like living outside (even tho this is kind of inside but detached from the house) I’m supposed to adopt my guineas from a rescue in two days and was planning to spoil them with all their toys and beds and fun things I bought but I don’t want to bring piggies into an environment that they will not enjoy. Can I please have some advice on how I can make this condition better for them? Or if I really can’t adopt the piggies if they will be detached from the house (with LOTS of interaction) then please let me know your opinion! Thank you.

I don't think they care where they live as long as the food supply is constant! But we really don't recommend keeping them outside. They can die of heat stroke at anything above 85 degrees, and while you can build a cage for them that will keep large animals out, there's no way to keep our stinging/biting insects. And as much as you plan to spend time with them, they won't get nearly the attention from you that they would if they were living in your house. They hide illnesses really well, and sometimes just noticing the slightest difference in behavior can tip you off that they're getting sick. If you don't see them all the time, you'll miss cues like that.

If I were you, I'd talk to the rescue you're planning to get them from. They may not be willing to adopt them out if they're going to live outside.

And even though you've counted on getting them, you need to consider whether you should choose another pet for now, and wait to get guinea pigs until you have your own space and can house them wherever you like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.