Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Uterine Tumor: What Would You Do?

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Re: Uterine Tumor: What Would You Do?

I would worry if she continues to drop. The antibiotic WILL mess with her appetite, and a continuous weight drop will indicate that she isnt eating enough on her own. If shes eating on her own but drops more steadily over a day or two, then I would go back to the Critical Care. Some pigs can come to prefer the CC over their hay and other foods they need to keep their teeth ground down, but nutrition will be paramount as long as shes on the antibiotic.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Guys, she's finally doing better - nearly three weeks after the surgery! Today she's eating hay, pellets, veg, drinking water, moving around all as she normally would. She hasn't gained the strength to do a lap around the cage or a popocorn or anything of that nature, but she seems to be doing 95% better. Hoooooooooray!

I'm going to focus on keeping her healthy and getting some more weight on her; right now she's at 1000g (the vet says this is a normal weight & that she shouldn't gain anymore, but honestly if Opal had went into the surgery at 1000g she would have been down to 700-800g after and that's a scary weight for me). I'd like to see her get up to 1100g.

There is still the second surgery looming in my mind. And the vet said if anything were to happen with pyometra or a new polyp it would likely happen within the first couple of months. So... guess I'm playing things by ear right now. Honestly, judging off of how long it took her to recover from this one, I don't know if she should go through another. I know the flank spay is less invasive, but it's still a hard choice. On the other hand, I do want all of this to be done and I don't want to have to worry about issues in the future. So it's a tough call.

But I will relish in her good health for now!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Thank you for the update and the good news. I’ve been following her recovery and hoping she would continue to improve. You have both been through a lot and I wish you both the best!

5. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/565 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Opal's recovery is such good news. I've been keeping her in my thoughts and prayers. I commend you for caring so much about her and I know that she appreciates everything that you have done. You are a wonderful pet owner.

7. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Very very glad to hear that Opal is doing well. Surgery is such a stressful thing to go through, both for the pig and their people. Recovery is just as stressful.

Looking forward to more good news.

9. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List