Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Neuter the male or spay the female?

topaz259

Cavy Slave
I have one boy guinea pig and I've been trying to convince my parents to let me get another so he's not lonely, and I think my mom's warming up to the idea. She's started asking me questions about what type of guinea pig I would want, if it would be a boy or girl, et cetera. The nearby shelter spays/neuters almost all of their guinea pigs (if they're not, they'll tell you) and I want to eventually get a girl guinea pig from that shelter. However, would it be OK to have a spayed female with an unneutered male? Wouldn't he keep trying to have babies with her? I was wondering if I should neuter my boy as well to make sure this doesn't happen, because I don't want him chasing her around trying to have babies with her. However, I don't really want to put him through a surgery unless I really have to. What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's spayed, she can't have babies no matter how much he tries to make them. And there's no point in putting both of them through a surgery when only one surgery fixes the problem.

He may keep trying, but she has ways of discouraging him if she doesn't want to be pestered.

However, please DO make sure one of them is neutered. There are many problems with guinea pig pregnancies and deliveries -- genetic conditions, maternal and pup deaths, etc.

Neutering a male is an easier, less invasive, less expensive surgery than spaying a female. Just be sure, if you have either one done, that you pick a good exotic vet who knows what they're doing. Neutering a male guinea pig is different from that of a dog or cat.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Ok, I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't drive her crazy. That's definitely a relief, because I REALLY don't want to put my piggy through a surgery if it's not necessary.

amber89

Cavy Gazer
I have a neutered boar and 1 female ( until yesterday there were 2 females). Being neutered didn't change his behaviour. He would still want to have fun with the girls. The late Muffin would find a way to keep him away (teeth chattering, spraying her wee on him, taking refuge in the upper floor), but the baby Cupcake would accept him.
In Germany and Austria it is common to neuter the male and leave the females intact. Also, whenever possible, the neutering takes place before 3 weeks of age. I haven't seen at the shelters any spayed females

Also. i believe that you know, that after neutering a male he is still able of producing offspring for another good 6 weeks, so you will still need to keep him separate from an unspayed female

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have a neutered boar and 1 female ( until yesterday there were 2 females). Being neutered didn't change his behaviour. He would still want to have fun with the girls. The late Muffin would find a way to keep him away (teeth chattering, spraying her wee on him, taking refuge in the upper floor), but the baby Cupcake would accept him.
In Germany and Austria it is common to neuter the male and leave the females intact. Also, whenever possible, the neutering takes place before 3 weeks of age. I haven't seen at the shelters any spayed females

Also. i believe that you know, that after neutering a male he is still able of producing offspring for another good 6 weeks, so you will still need to keep him separate from an unspayed female

I think it's awesome that they neuter at that age. I think you guys do puppies and kittens younger than America does too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.