Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I need advice !

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
I have 3 female Guinea pigs. I've have 2 together for a while and decided to get another female. I did the whole quarantine and proper introduction. They have been the the cage together for a day alittle for 2 days. One of my Guinea pigs keeps whinning everytime the new one comes close to her, occasionally nips at her and the other one wont stop rumble strutting at everyone now. There hadn't been any really serious fights that I've seen. The newer Guinea pig raises up on her back legs and fluffs her hair like a dog shaking off? I'm not sure they are getting along just yet? How long does this dominance dance usually last for ? And why does my one Guinea pig keep whinning ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can take several weeks for things to calm down. It doesn't sound too serious to me, more like normal guinea pig behavior.

But one factor in adjustment is cage size. How large is the cage? Do all the hideys have at least two doors so that none of them can get trapped?

Be sure to weigh them regularly to make sure nobody is being kept away from the food.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
I have a large c&c cage. Its 3 by 5 and they have tunnels with 3 openings to them .

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's plenty big, so lack of space isn't part of the problem. I'd give them a couple of weeks and see how things are going. Only separate them if they turn into rolling, biting balls of fur.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.