Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: This is Long Overdue!

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    This is Long Overdue!

    Hey guys, I've been on the forum for like two months and never properly introduced myself. So, I'm topaz259, and I'm a new piggy owner. I have a male guinea pig named Wesley who is about 3 1/2 months old, I've had him for about 2 1/2 months. The picture below is of him when I first got him, at about 1 month old. The second picture is of him eating, taken at around the same time. (Don't worry, that's his playpen, I don't keep him there) The little guy is very energetic and loves to popcorn. He makes the cutest noises whenever he hears his food bag, haha! I also have a 10 year old dog who seems to think he's her puppy and cries whenever he's out of her sight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Size Wesley.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	85852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wesley Eating.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	85853
    I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

  2. "Thank you, topaz259, for this useful post," says:


  3. #2
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks
    402
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Welcome to the forum family!

    I'm just curious, but does Wesley have a buddy, or might he have?

  4. #3
    Cavy Slave Kelsie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 06, 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    2,525
    Thanks
    494
    Thanks
    677 Rec'd/585 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Wesley, you are just the cutest little guy. It's so nice to meet you and a warm welcome to both you and @topaz259.

  5. #4
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Welcome to the forum family!

    I'm just curious, but does Wesley have a buddy, or might he have?
    Thank you! Not yet, but I've been talking to my mom and she says it's a possibility. I've found a guinea pig shelter nearby that I plan on going to to find him a girlfriend once I convince my parents. For now, I'm just spoiling him rotten.

  6. #5
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Wesley, you are just the cutest little guy. It's so nice to meet you and a warm welcome to both you and @topaz259.
    Thank you so much!

  7. #6
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks
    402
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by topaz259 View Post
    Thank you! Not yet, but I've been talking to my mom and she says it's a possibility. I've found a guinea pig shelter nearby that I plan on going to to find him a girlfriend once I convince my parents. For now, I'm just spoiling him rotten.
    Kudos to you for wanting to get him a buddy, but unless hes already neutered (and given his age, I doubt it) dont get a female. You'll have babies before you know it.

  8. #7
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    28,443
    Thanks
    169
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Please don't get him a girl friend unless she's spayed or he's neutered. Guinea pigs are prone to several painful/fatal genetic diseases. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on the sows, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies in guinea pigs to keep to species going without another pig ever being deliberately bred.

  9. #8
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,767
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    494 Rec'd/416 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by topaz259 View Post
    Thank you! Not yet, but I've been talking to my mom and she says it's a possibility. I've found a guinea pig shelter nearby that I plan on going to to find him a girlfriend once I convince my parents. For now, I'm just spoiling him rotten.
    Sounds like a plan, just make sure your local shelter has spayed sows that you can choose from or have your boy neutered at least 4 weeks before getting him a girlfriend. Also see if the shelter will allow meet and greets before you adopt, so you can take him in and see if he gets along with his potential new companion before you bring them home.

  10. #9
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Kudos to you for wanting to get him a buddy, but unless hes already neutered (and given his age, I doubt it) dont get a female. You'll have babies before you know it.
    Don't worry, the local shelter spays/neuters all of their pigs, so she'll be spayed.

  11. #10
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Please don't get him a girl friend unless she's spayed or he's neutered. Guinea pigs are prone to several painful/fatal genetic diseases. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on the sows, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies in guinea pigs to keep to species going without another pig ever being deliberately bred.
    They spay all of their females, so I think I'll keep him unneutered and then adopt a spayed female. Don't worry, I wouldn't put a piggy through that.

  12. #11
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    Sounds like a plan, just make sure your local shelter has spayed sows that you can choose from or have your boy neutered at least 4 weeks before getting him a girlfriend. Also see if the shelter will allow meet and greets before you adopt, so you can take him in and see if he gets along with his potential new companion before you bring them home.
    Soecara, that's a good idea! I checked their website and it says that they specialize in finding companions for single piggies, so I'll bring him in and see who he connects with. He's really gentle with humans, but he hasn't been with other piggies since I got him so it will be good to see how he gets along with other piggies.

  13. #12
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks
    402
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by topaz259 View Post
    They spay all of their females, so I think I'll keep him unneutered and then adopt a spayed female. Don't worry, I wouldn't put a piggy through that.
    Whew. Glad to hear it. And I realize I neglect to say what an adorable little man Wesley is!

    Looking forward to seeing you both around the forum.

  14. #13
    Cavy Slave topaz259's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: This is Long Overdue!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Whew. Glad to hear it. And I realize I neglect to say what an adorable little man Wesley is!

    Looking forward to seeing you both around the forum.
    Thank you! Sorry for the confusion, I've never been good with words.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •