Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: HELP! Baby GP with pneumonia

Can i use a guinea pigs poop who has ringworm? His ringworm is pretty much all the way gone, but not fully. When you say give him a probiotic roughly 1 hour after the antibiotic do you mean feed him the critical care 1 hour after i give him the antibiotic, if so then ok i will do that. So when i soak the pellets, it doesnt matter if theres no chunks whatsoever? All the nutrients will absorb into the water itself? I will start a fresh "batch" and try to do it how you explained

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the ringworm. By probiotic, I mean Benebac, or some acidophilus power suspended in water. You CAN use the poop in lieu of a probiotic.

A guinea pig who isn't eating on their own will require 10-12 feedings a day. If there is chunks in it, it won't pass through the syringe but getting that nutrition into him is imperative

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Also, should i put a couple drops of vitamin c in with the liquified pellets? Im giving him good vegetables, and he seems to be eating the romain lettuce and spinach a decent amount but almost nothing else

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Should i make a "water poop" and a "liquified pellets" and give it to him separately or should i mix the poop with the liquified pellets

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

The vitamin c won't hurt. The romaine lettuce shouldn't be too bad for now because he's young, but switch to green leaf lettuce. Romaine lettuce for some reason can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs, and green leaf is a safer choice. Right now it's most important that he DOES eat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zackwinnero1 View Post
    Should i make a "water poop" and a "liquified pellets" and give it to him separately or should i mix the poop with the liquified pellets
    Give him the "poop soup" about an hour after he's had his antibiotic, and then give him the pellet slurry or Critical Care when you get it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I know this should probably be normal since ive been feeding him liquid pellets but should his poop already be coming out alot softer since i fed him the liquified pellets last night

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Food goes through a pig in roughly 8-12 hours, so yes. As soon as he gets back to eating his hay the better. He needs the fibre. Not to mention the antibiotic is going to negatively effect both his tummy and his appetite.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Honestly, he is eating hay somewhat, hes eating that the most out of everything but still hardly any. My bad for not mentioning that before

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I am on my way to petco to pick up some benebac right now, that will make me not need to give him any poop soup, right

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Correct. Not sure if you get the benebac at the pet store. Perhaps someone in the US can chime in on that. But a store bought probiotic would negate the need for poop soup, yes.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ok, i already called and asked if they had any in stock and they do. Thank you

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

If im force feeding him the pellet water i dont need to force feed him *any* regular water do i? Because after i give him the pellet water he isnt in the mood to drink/eat anymore and if i try to give it to him he just squirms and moves his head nonstop and wont drink it

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zackwinnero1 View Post
    If im force feeding him the pellet water i dont need to force feed him *any* regular water do i? Because after i give him the pellet water he isnt in the mood to drink/eat anymore and if i try to give it to him he just squirms and moves his head nonstop and wont drink it
    He should get plenty of moisture from what you're giving him. Give it a half hour or an hour and try with just water.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

If this helps give you hope, I had a baby pig less than a week old weighing 100 grams who had been rejected by his mother, aspirate when I was hand feeding and everywhere online said it was a death sentence by pneumonia, and certainly it was a very dire situation and wasn't looking good for the little one. I started Bactrim straight away though and he recovered and grew up (eventually) into an old man pig. A slightly different situation I know, but there is hope for your little dude.

16. "Thank you, stray hares, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray hares View Post
    If this helps give you hope, I had a baby pig less than a week old weighing 100 grams who had been rejected by his mother, aspirate when I was hand feeding and everywhere online said it was a death sentence by pneumonia, and certainly it was a very dire situation and wasn't looking good for the little one. I started Bactrim straight away though and he recovered and grew up (eventually) into an old man pig. A slightly different situation I know, but there is hope for your little dude.
    Thank you for this, i am keeping in my head that he WILL survive because i will do EVERYTHING that i can possibly do to try and ensure him a long happy life

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

So, today i woke up 4 hours into my sleep to force feed him then i slept 4 more hours and force fed him again. Idk if its the probiotic but he has been eating his hay the whole morning, he didnt really touch any of his vegetables other than the spinach and romaine lettuce but im making sure to give him the majority romaine lettuce and spinach, he also took a few nibbles off the carrot, and through the night he ate approx like 20 pellets, but thats just a rough estimate. Im giving him 2 1ml syringe fulls of liquid pellets every 3-4 hours and attempting to give him 1 1ml syringe of water every like 6 hours, should i be attempting to feed him more recently

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

You should be feeding him more at one time, not more often. The rule of thumb is that a pig that weighs 1 kilogram (1000 grams) needs about 100 cc.of pellet slurry or Critical Care, every day, 6-8 times a day, around the clock. You adjust up or down according to the weight of the pig, and down if the pig is eating anything on its own.

Your pig is a baby, so let's use 500 grams as his weight, for example. He'd need 50 cc. of slurry/CC per day. If you fed him six times a day, you'd try to get about 8.5 cc. in him at a time. If you fed him eight times a day, you'd aim for about 6.5 cc. each time. But if he's eating other things, then you could decrease that amount somewhat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Hey,
    I have been reading your forum, I hope he is doing a little bit better since the critical care and baytril. I have had the same situation with my 17 week old boy and it's hard to say whether he is getting better or not. My baby absolutely HATES critical care but it helps and makes him so much more active. It definitely helps and baytril makes him less lethargic.
    I hope he recovers and same with my little one. ❤

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

How IS Lee doing? Better, I hope?

User Tag List