Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Bella Rose a little red and dry paws and feet

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

It comes and goes, mostly comes. Sometimes it's a bit scaly. When I got her at 3 weeks she had this. She doesn't seem bothered by it but mom is wondering if there's something I can apply topically.
TIA!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Discolored nails. Any concern? TIA 20190524_123433.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not with the color, but they do look a little long.

Artista

Cavy Slave
So it seems she has callous on the side of her left paw. Doesn't bother her nor look infected. Guessing it should be trimmed off and give paw soaks. She doesn't sit still so it'd have to be all 4 feet soak..

20190809_165820.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Upside down bottle caps make good piggy foot baths, and you may be able to bribe her to sit still if you feed her yummy treats.

Here's some info on how to trim the spurs: https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
My Friar Tuck had a small foot spur on each front foot once. I think they were a little smaller than hers, and they weren't sore/inflamed/touchy or bothering him at all when he walked. I was a little nervous to trim them so just decided to keep an eye on them. Lo and behold, after a week he trimmed one off himself! And then he did the second a week after that :) I had been checking them everyday, and they were neatly trimmed a tiny distance from his skin both times.
He hadn't had any before then and hasn't since. If I needed to trim them I would've, but it was such a relief he managed it himself! I don't if that was lucky or common among piggies. I have read 1 in 3 piggies will get foot spurs at some time in their lives

Artista

Cavy Slave
My Friar Tuck had a small foot spur on each front foot once. I think they were a little smaller than hers, and they weren't sore/inflamed/touchy or bothering him at all when he walked. I was a little nervous to trim them so just decided to keep an eye on them. Lo and behold, after a week he trimmed one off himself! And then he did the second a week after that :) I had been checking them everyday, and they were neatly trimmed a tiny distance from his skin both times.
He hadn't had any before then and hasn't since. If I needed to trim them I would've, but it was such a relief he managed it himself! I don't if that was lucky or common among piggies. I have read 1 in 3 piggies will get foot spurs at some time in their lives

That's what it is! I saw on guinea lynx a pic that sounded like this! I took her today for a check at her vets. She trimmed it but said probably not keeping her pen cleaned enough. I'm doing the same thing with her that I did with Mooshy for 5 years. I'm on top of spot cleaning and checking the fleece flippers for signs she peed there. I would never have known because she's behaving normally and everything about her is fine. I only saw it because I sit inches from her pen, eye level. When she stands to eat from her haystack, I see the paws.

I hope it doesn't get infected and eventually go away. I know she wasn't born with it as the vet thoroughly examined her as a new patient.

Thanks for sharing.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Upside down bottle caps make good piggy foot baths, and you may be able to bribe her to sit still if you feed her yummy treats.

Here's some info on how to trim the spurs: https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

Is there a home solution where i can make enough to soak feet and paws in a rectangular Tupperware? I'm doing 1 x day putting on mal-a-ket plus on all paws and feet. A solution I put on and leave for 10 minutes. Then rinse. It's antimicrobial/antifungal solution. When dry, apply ascend silver sulfadiazine cream. For 2 weeks.

Also, any solution I can get otc for ear cleaning with q tip?

Thanks!

Artista

Cavy Slave
@bpatters vet took xray after feeling right ovary is larger than left. Unfortunately even though she weighs 968 gm, she has some fat lining her heart, in the liver and digestive area where she has a little belly. As a result she was unable to see the ovaries because too she had eaten so that area blocking. Told to get her down to 850 or 860 and come back in 3 mo to see if she can see them.

So instead of 1 TBSP kms pellets in am and 1 pm, it'll be 1/2 each time. I seem to be giving to much veggies so I'm cutting portion size. Pepper for vit c and a couple leaves of lettuce stays. I was doing a 1/2" chunk of zucchini or yellow squash, a mini colored bell pepper and chunk of cucumber for dinner. Was that too much?

She thought it's most likely a cyst vs cancer. Not sure if a procedure is necessary but I guess it can burst if it's a cyst?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That's what it is! I saw on guinea lynx a pic that sounded like this! I took her today for a check at her vets. She trimmed it but said probably not keeping her pen cleaned enough. I'm doing the same thing with her that I did with Mooshy for 5 years. I'm on top of spot cleaning and checking the fleece flippers for signs she peed there. I would never have known because she's behaving normally and everything about her is fine. I only saw it because I sit inches from her pen, eye level. When she stands to eat from her haystack, I see the paws.

I hope it doesn't get infected and eventually go away. I know she wasn't born with it as the vet thoroughly examined her as a new patient.

Thanks for sharing.

Though guinea pigs from bad situations often develop spurs from dirty cages and lack of exercise, foot spurs are also genetic and it can have nothing to do with that. I'm sure that's the case with Bella Rose! We use carefresh bedding that we clean and replenish every day; it's certainly not what caused my Friar Tuck's spurs. They never caused him any problems, so I don't think they will for her, either :)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has a few small spurs that I trim from time to time. Her bedding is clean and her feet are a healthy pink color, so it’s not necessarily a dirty environment. I think spurs are also more likely as they get older since their nails change and thicken as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.