Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Farm/ Feed Store bought hay. Is it ok? Pics included.

AKCG1

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of "is this hay okay" posts on here but I have another one. I have been searching my area for farm / feed stores to purchase some fresh hay. I purchased a flake of hay for 2 dollars from a local store, but later called to ask them what kind of hay it was and they told me it was first cut alfalfa, orchard, Timothy mix. So I did not use it and called around to some other places.

I ended up purchasing an entire bale from a farm who also runs a feed store and was told it was 2nd cut orchard/ timothy mix. I was assured that there was no alfalfa in this bale I got a nice green bale and broke it up yesterday and started feeding it. A lot of the strands are pretty long and it looks to be mainly orchard I don't see much timothy or many seed heads. My 3 girls seem to be eating it and enjoying it with no problems. I just want to be sure that there is no alfalfa in here, not that I don't trust the feed store but I'm trying to keep in mind that typical hay farms dont specialize guinea pigs. I included some pictures and I'm hoping you guys can assure me.

Thanks !

Attachments

20190416_223217.jpg 20190416_223237.jpg 20190417_112454.jpg

13buns

Cavy Slave
I get a few different types of hay because I have 12 buns and live too. I get farm bay for the buns mainly but if the bag is quite soft i give it the pigs too. It's not that they don't like it hard but when the strands are thick and hard I'm scared the the pigs could get an eye liked out. I will give them a little of the stiffer hay but I lay it flat on the floor instead of in the bag racks and litter trays.
Your hay looks pretty soft to me but it is hard to tell.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Where the farms do specialize for pigs, they have to state what they are selling and be correct about it. It looks like a bale of orchard grass I have bought before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.