Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Advice for having 3 boars please

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My friend just got three 4 mo old boars. I've only had females so I won't know all the details of keeping boars happy and healthy. Please post your experience and advice if you have or had a pair or even better, 3 boars especially about helping prevent bullying/too much aggressive behavior. Also if anyone can post a good video of anal sac cleaning and how often to do it it'll be much appreciated!

TIA

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's a video on anal sac cleaning in the Medical and Veterinary forum.

The advice of most of us on this forum is to either rehome one of the boars, or get another and have two pairs. Three almost never works, and there's plenty of evidence on these forums to support that. Additionally, they're coming up on full puberty, and there WILL be aggression.

Artista

Cavy Slave
There's a video on anal sac cleaning in the Medical and Veterinary forum.

The advice of most of us on this forum is to either rehome one of the boars, or get another and have two pairs. Three almost never works, and there's plenty of evidence on these forums to support that. Additionally, they're coming up on full puberty, and there WILL be aggression.

Thank you. I'll pass the info on.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
A wider 3x cage over say a 2x6 cage. Three boars wouldn't work. My 4 boars never got along in a 2x cage, no matter how long. I would say a 3x5-6 would be a good size. If they decide to add another boar, it would help out much more. Here was my 3x6 and 4 boars. 100_0680.jpgThey had a blast in it. If they don't want to add a 4th pig, I'd rehome the 3rd one soon.

Artista

Cavy Slave
A wider 3x cage over say a 2x6 cage. Three boars wouldn't work. My 4 boars never got along in a 2x cage, no matter how long. I would say a 3x5-6 would be a good size. If they decide to add another boar, it would help out much more. Here was my 3x6 and 4 boars.View attachment 85829They had a blast in it. If they don't want to add a 4th pig, I'd rehome the 3rd one soon.

Passed it on, thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll 2nd the opinion that three boars wont work.

I had Sly with his little brothers in a 4x8 grid. It worked wonderfully until Punkin hit puberty and that was the end of harmony. Unfortunately Sly was the one who was the victim as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.