Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Leaking water bottles ruining our cage, whats a good non leak bottle we can use?

GothCavyMom

Cavy Gazer
Im having the worst issue right now with the water bottles we have in our habitat, we had to switch our cage set up twice because the water bottle kept leaking A LOT and it was soaking up our fleece. This caused our pigs to start peeing more in that area and using the bathroom in that area and it created a wet and dirty environment within just 2-3 hours. We switched to thicker wood chips so the issue isn't as bad anymore but we have to replace the chips under the water every few hours still. Does anyone have any experiences with this issue, and what are some good water bottles I can buy online that won't leak so terribly? :sad:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Im having the worst issue right now with the water bottles we have in our habitat, we had to switch our cage set up twice because the water bottle kept leaking A LOT and it was soaking up our fleece. This caused our pigs to start peeing more in that area and using the bathroom in that area and it created a wet and dirty environment within just 2-3 hours. We switched to thicker wood chips so the issue isn't as bad anymore but we have to replace the chips under the water every few hours still. Does anyone have any experiences with this issue, and what are some good water bottles I can buy online that won't leak so terribly? :sad:

EVERYONE has a different opinion on which bottles to use. I personally use the Kaytee glass bottles, which do drip somewhat especially after a piggie takes a drink. If yours are leaking that much, do check the seals, and also check the ball to make sure that it's seated properly. They shouldn't leak to the point that everything is soaked in a short period of time.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I still prefer the choco nose bottle for being drip free:

https://www.amazon.com/Choco-Nose-H...47&s=gateway&sprefix=choconose,aps,178&sr=8-4

I've tried a few other brands before and the leakages were terrible. I threw those bottles away and only use the choco nose ones. After a piggy drinks from it, sometimes it will leak a drop or two but not more than that and I've been using the same bottles for over 1.5 years. I put a rock and/or brick underneath to soak up any minor leakage. You will want to tap the nozzle ball to make sure water is coming out and check that bubbles rise to the top in the bottle. There are some Amazon reviews that state due to the ball bearings, it is difficult for water to come out. I change out the water daily and check each time. Chewy.com has better pricing than Amazon but you need to order $49 of merchandise before free shipping.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
EVERYONE has a different opinion on which bottles to use.

Yes, we do all have differing opinions, don't we? I use the plain old generic plastic water bottle that you can buy in most pet stores.....Petco just happens to be my closest one. When you go to buy a water bottle, take a large bottle of your own water in case you need it.....reason will be apparent shortly.

Most pet stores sell fish and have a sink and running water nearby. Tell/ask a salesperson that you need to fill the bottle and test it BEFORE you buy it. Try to avoid disturbing the packaging as much as possible so that they can still sell it. Fill the bottle and squeeze it plus tapping the ball to see if it leaks. If not, you're good to go. If it does leak, then don't buy it and hopefully try another.

If the store won't permit you to do this testing, then buy the bottle and go to your car where you have water waiting. Test the bottle right in the parking lot and if it leaks, march right back into the store to return/exchange it. And, make a point of doing this in plain sight of the store personnel. Pretty soon they will get the idea that it doesn't make sense to refuse to permit you to test it as it saves paperwork and maintains customer good will.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do feel as though I have to reiterate the main reason I use the Kaytee glass bottles.

It has nothing to do with leakage. They do dribble a bit but they are definitely liveable. The reason I use glass, is because the old plastic bottle that I used to use, had a definite "plasticky" smell to them, and I am concerned about the presence of BPA's in the plastic. Since I could not find any information on how much they may contain, I made the choice to switch to glass.

I knew with the smell in the water bottles that I personally would not drink from them, and so would no expect my pigs to drink from them either. If I won't consume it, then neither will they.

GothCavyMom

Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone ! Ill try taking your advice and report back on updates once we get our new bottles in. I didn't think my pigs would also play with the water bottle and make it drip out as well which is mainly the reason why its gotten so bad on top of the leakage. I always learn something new about them lol haha

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I kept a bowl below the spout of the water bottle (I also used fleece). They then had the option of drinking the drips in the bowl as well. Kept my fleece dry!

GothCavyMom

Cavy Gazer
I kept a bowl below the spout of the water bottle (I also used fleece). They then had the option of drinking the drips in the bowl as well. Kept my fleece dry!

I wish my pigs weren't so clumsy or else this would work. We used fleece before too but they play with the water spout and make it spill as if on purpose. If I keep a bowl there, they push it around and move it out of the way. sigh ):

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I wish my pigs weren't so clumsy or else this would work. We used fleece before too but they play with the water spout and make it spill as if on purpose. If I keep a bowl there, they push it around and move it out of the way. sigh ):

Yeah. Need a heavy ceramic bowl. (or the kind that twists into a clamp)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.