Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Teddy's Abscess won't go away!

Hi everyone, so I have no idea what to do anymore with Teddy's pesky abscess. When I first caught it, it was huge! The size of a grape under his chin. I took him to the vet and the vet lanced it/drained it then left it open. It was really pricey, around 550$. He also put him under to lance it and drain it so that I'm sure made it more pricey. I just got a job ontop of going to college so I could afford these things without my parents wanting to kill me but since I just started I can't afford much anything yet. He also sent in whatever he drained to get it tested. Anyways he sent me home with Baytril .3 mils with a probitoic, some blue cleaning solution a syringe to flush it out and some silvadene cream to pack the abscess with as he said. I did this for a whole month and it started to go down. I was ecstatic, but then once he was taken off the antibiotics the pesky lump started to grow back. Just much further up his chin this time, I had vet visits every week so the vet could check on him and he was very confused on how it came back. He checked it again and of course he said it did come back. The small incision he made had already started closing up so he told me not to mess with it anymore and sent me home with more antibiotics and to press a warm compress on it. I asked him to check his teeth because I suspected it could maybe be something with his teeth but the vet said his teeth were just fine. Then one day I smelled an awful smell, I immediately checked Teddy and it looked as if the lump had burst. I took him back to the vet and he cleaned it up for me and gave me .6 mils of baytril this time with a probiotic. Again, it started to go down! I got happy that maybe this was it. I kept up in time with everything, but still I see this horrible bump and I can't drain it because the hole is extremely tiny even the curved syringe I'm using isn't small enough to get in there. The vet didn't drain it again which I thought was odd, he only poked a hole to see if it was pus but he said some gross smelling brown stuff came out instead. So here I am, just holding a warm compress on it, picking at the scab so it doesn't fully scab over because I have noticed some stuff coming out from time to time. I just feel like I'm at a loss right now. He's still eating and drinking water which is what's holding me back from having a mental break down and he's still my happy little floofy boy. I just want it to go away, I'm so frustrated. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm going crazy! Sorry I'm all over the place with the post, any ideas or help would be amazing. I live in Staten Island, New York if you have any recommendations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Teddy's Abscess won't go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Becksdere View Post
    Hi everyone, so I have no idea what to do anymore with Teddy's pesky abscess. When I first caught it, it was huge! The size of a grape under his chin. I took him to the vet and the vet lanced it/drained it then left it open. It was really pricey, around 550$. He also put him under to lance it and drain it so that I'm sure made it more pricey. I just got a job ontop of going to college so I could afford these things without my parents wanting to kill me but since I just started I can't afford much anything yet. He also sent in whatever he drained to get it tested. Anyways he sent me home with Baytril .3 mils with a probitoic, some blue cleaning solution a syringe to flush it out and some silvadene cream to pack the abscess with as he said. I did this for a whole month and it started to go down. I was ecstatic, but then once he was taken off the antibiotics the pesky lump started to grow back. Just much further up his chin this time, I had vet visits every week so the vet could check on him and he was very confused on how it came back. He checked it again and of course he said it did come back. The small incision he made had already started closing up so he told me not to mess with it anymore and sent me home with more antibiotics and to press a warm compress on it. I asked him to check his teeth because I suspected it could maybe be something with his teeth but the vet said his teeth were just fine. Then one day I smelled an awful smell, I immediately checked Teddy and it looked as if the lump had burst. I took him back to the vet and he cleaned it up for me and gave me .6 mils of baytril this time with a probiotic. Again, it started to go down! I got happy that maybe this was it. I kept up in time with everything, but still I see this horrible bump and I can't drain it because the hole is extremely tiny even the curved syringe I'm using isn't small enough to get in there. The vet didn't drain it again which I thought was odd, he only poked a hole to see if it was pus but he said some gross smelling brown stuff came out instead. So here I am, just holding a warm compress on it, picking at the scab so it doesn't fully scab over because I have noticed some stuff coming out from time to time. I just feel like I'm at a loss right now. He's still eating and drinking water which is what's holding me back from having a mental break down and he's still my happy little floofy boy. I just want it to go away, I'm so frustrated. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm going crazy! Sorry I'm all over the place with the post, any ideas or help would be amazing. I live in Staten Island, New York if you have any recommendations.
    P.S.
    I forgot to add that he also just told me to keep it clean with the blue solution (i forgot the name) by spraying it on top of the area or patting it on with a clean cotton pad. Is that right? Should I be asking him to drain it again? Or will it just come back? Grrr! I'm so sad!!

Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4032 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,469 Rec'd/5,963 Posts

I answered you over at GL.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    529 Rec'd/446 Posts

I recently had a girl with a neck abscess. Due to the location it wasn't able to be fully removed encapsulated but they did remove all of the unhealthy tissue of the abscess wall. She was given an anti-biotic and I was told to flush the open wound on her neck that they were unable to close with a diluted anti-septic and to pack it with this cream called flaminal hydro that I could get from the regular pharmacy (which I was assured wouldn't harm her if she ingested any), and make sure to removed as much scabbing as possible when cleaning.

This was about 2 weeks ago, and the wound has almost completely healed (she has just a less than 1cm wound that doesn't have any depth left to it), no signs of pus or anything. I did have to contact the vet because she kept rubbing all the cream out of wound, they said i would have to cover it with a loose piece of cotton gauze, but I was a bit skeptical as to the safety of this encase she or her cage mate tried to eat it. We ended up settling on me using a cut out piece of tissue paper a bit bigger than the size of the wound to cover it every time i would flush the wound that I had wet with the diluted anti-septic solution, so the cream was covered and if she were to get it off and eat it she wouldn't be harmed. The tissue worked well and has stayed on the wound pretty much every single time i have gone to tend to her and kept the cream in the wound.

User Tag List