Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Number of tiles for a 2x5 c&c?

Rocky01

Cavy Slave
For whatever reason, I am getting tripped up with the math of building a c&c cage. I am planning a 2x5 cage with built in storage underneath and possibly a 2x2 second level. I know the cage alone needs 14 grids, but if I were to do the bottom storage level and the second level for the pigs, how many would I need?

I know this is most likely a dumb question, but I literally cannot wrap my head around it lol

Soecara

Cavy Slave
How many you need exactly depends greatly on how you want to construct the stand, if you want the loft offset, and if you will be using grids for the base structure of the ramp to the loft. However you would likely need at least 65 if you only did a 1 grid high stand, and it would be better to have a few more than you actually end up needing as having spare grids on hand is never a bad thing.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 main level with a 2x2 offset loft. The cage and stand are constructed as separate structures and then zip-tied together. The stand is super sturdy with both a bottom and top on most of it, and I then added casters (wheels) to the entire structure so that I could move it out for cleaning. The problem with adding casters is that they then become the weight-bearing points for the cage and if you put heavy items in the storage bins in the cubby holes, the bottom grids begin to sag. Without moving my cage, I just estimated and indeed, you will need a minimum of 65 grids.

I will post one pic below so that you can get an idea of my cage. When I first constructed the cage, I took pics throughout the construction process that might help if you need. The area with the gap was specifically created that way to accommodate two plastic bins that hold supplies, litter, or hay. Perhaps the graphic will give you an idea of my starting point. Obviously IT doesn't have a bottom on the stand. My loft is so solidly built that it didn't require the supporting grids as Soecara mentioned.

Cage side.jpg Offset loft design.jpg Offset loft design - altered.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.